Have Any Money Saving Tips?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Right U R Ken, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

I've been trying to save money for almost two years now. It's been mostly working but I'm thinking I may be able to do better. So throw out anything you do that saves a few bucks. It all adds up.

Thing I'm most interested in is if anyone here a member of Sam's Club? Is there any more savings there over buying things on sale? The Sam's Club here is 30 miles away so the cost of gas and extra trouble to get there has to be considered.
  2. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

Save energy and water. Shower with your girlfriend :laugh:
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Put an automatic deposit from your bank account to a savings account, on a weekly basis. Bigger than you think you can afford, and then work around it.
  4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

No fast food.
    Read more.
    take public transportation.
    Invest in the US dollar while it's low.
    Learn to play an instrument, and then practice, practice, practice!
  5. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

How are these money saving tips? Dollar items at some fast foods places are money saving. And the other two make no sense in the context of this question. Books and a musical instrument would cost money not save it.
  6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

In the US a meal at a fast food restaurant runs about...$6. But so long as you're not buying meat at the grocer, $6 buys you rice, tofu, vegetables, fruit and even a little left over for chocolate or a soft drink like the very delicious Mexican formula Coca Cola--no corn syrup.

So you can eat one meal for $6 or you can make 3 meals minimum for $6. Of course, if you'll only eat steaks and leg of lamb fast food is a bit less expensive.
    Looking at my own bank statements, every month I spend an equal amount of money on my groceries and Restaurant outings. And I definitely get more out of groceries.

Dollar items hardly constitute a meal, a steady diet of them will make you ill, and just one doesn't fill you up.

2. If you read more, then you wont' be doing other things with your money like going to the movies, buying dvds, or spending $10 covers at clubs that turn out to be nothing more than a glorified bar with overpriced drinks. And you don't buy books, you go to the library.

3. To rent an instrument (or rent to own) you pay between $15 a month (clarients, recorders,violins) to $35 a month (pianos, cellos, tubas). Then with that fee paid, a practicing musician uses his instrument minimum two hours a day or 60 hours a month. Thus you'd be spending 60 hours of your free time using an item that cost at most $35. Compare to the $9.50 spent on a ticket to see a two hour movie.

Or there's moving into a cheaper house/apartment/room. Investing in CD's and Treasury Bonds. Applying to whatever government program you're eligible for, and or reducing spending in all matters of your life by 20%. 20% less on groceries, 20% less on clothing, etc. etc.

In short. Spend less money on things you have to, and don't buy what you don't. As to food. Well, Ramon, ramon, ramon!
  7. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Buy food you need and if you've got enough food in your cupboards don't go buying more. Sometimes it can help to write a list of what you need for the week (or however long) instead of going out shopping without a list and picking up all sorts of different stuff you may not use... so much food goes to waste.

Also when you go shopping try the own brand foods.. they have to be of a certain standard to be sold and usually, many I've tried tastes just as nice as the more expensive brands.

Save on electric by making sure lights in rooms you're not using is switched off and don't leave the heating on all the time, perhaps put it on a timer or something... turn off appliances you're not using.

Have a look around your place and dig up some things you don't want and sell them, whether it be at bootsale or ebay, you could make a few quid there.

If you are get so much money per month/week take so much out of it a week and either put it into another account or some sort of safe or something... and don't touch it. It'll soon build up. OR you could go the other way and ONLY draw out a certain amount each week and use that for food, luxuries etc.

Cut out/down on the lottery/scratchcards etc... really, most of the time you don't end up winning anyway.

Cut down on smoking/drinking/memberships etc... a load of money goes on things like this. Someone I know quite smoking and saved the money she'd end up putting on smokes and she went away on holiday to Europe.

Shop online - a lot of items you see online are cheaper than going to the local stores.

Use the library, don't buy top brand clothes etc...

There are a load of ways... hopefully this was helpful
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Cut out the phone sex!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.