Have I Crossed Into Addiction?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Forgotten_Man, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

So for the past couple of months I have been getting drunk every friday and saturday. I come home from work and think "I just want to be drunk". Since I have no friends I of course drink alone. Last night I had a pretty good blitz... I actually finished off all the booze in my house. You know then I blacked out on the floor and woke up long enough to move to my bed.

Anyway, I wonder if I have crossed over into addiction. I don't drink during work nights... so you know Sunday-Thursday. Because nothing is worse than going to work with a hangover. However, the past couple of weekends I have felt compelled to get drunk. Not tonight though... waking up this morning made me feel ill.... even thinking about booze makes me feel crappy.

Thoughts?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

if you are blacking out withyour drinking then you have a problem you are getting alcohol poisoning which can be very harmful and serious Lay off the alcohol before it does permanent damage get out and meet new people instead of drinking yourself into oblivion hun hugs

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Watch out, you are on the slippery slope!
    Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt!

Stop now while you can. :hug:

4. Forgotten_Man

I figured as much... I don't know why I have been so weak-hearted lately...

5. Countdelafey

Countdelafey Active Member

I'm kind of in your boat. I don't black out much, but it's usually because I want to save some of my booze for the next night and I can drop a handle pretty fast. But I drink alone a lot because I have few friends also.

6. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

I don't believe you are weak-hearted. As was already said, it may be best not to drink for a while and try to meet people. If you are worried it could become an addiction, it might be a good idea to stop drinking completely. I've seen people go down hill really fast. If you do decide to drink, watch how much you in-take and be careful of alcohol poisoning.
    Take care

7. Forgotten_Man

I have been hoping for alcohol poisoning a lot recently.

8. kote

kote Account Closed

i had a similar problem recently - ive got a very addictive personality. anyway i got so drunk and couldnt walk whilst out in public. i told my dr. and he put me on antabuse. this is a medicine which makes you extremely sick if you come any where close to booze. i have to admit its made me feel a little depressed at social events - but zero alcohol beer works fine. but it works!!! it doesnt take the desire away - but the affects of the medicine scare you off enough. try it!!!

9. Forgotten_Man

:laugh: That would be awesome. I would have an easy out of all social situations.

10. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

this but check out my previosu reply for more.

11. mytime

mytime Active Member

Probably not since you still have hangovers and don't drink during the week. BUT you do have a drinking problem and that can be every bit as serious. It will eventually cause serious health problems and will make depression worse (if you suffer from it). It will also make any medications less effective because your liver will be more active from dealing with the alcohol (assuming you haven't killed it yet!)

You'll probably find it won't be enough to stop you drinking. For me, I found I needed to want to live to do that. If you want to live, then the negative effects of drinking matter and that's a motivation to do something about it. If you do decide that, think about what you're going to do instead of drinking at the times or with the feelings that you currently respond to by drinking.

As always, totally unqualified but heart felt suggestions.

12. Forgotten_Man

I know what you mean, I tend to go on drinking bouts... some times I go 3 or 4 months without drinking then have a month or two thing like this.

I know what you mean about not wanting the negative effects. I remember a couple of weeks ago I did not drink and I was able to get up before noon and want to do stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.