Have SSRI's helped you?

I am planning on starting next week and wondering if they have helped you or not? I think I remember seeing a thread about SSRI's and if they worked on not and that people not posting because they aren't suicidal anymore aren't here to give success stories so it looks skewed to them not working.

Last edited:

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
The thing with antidepressants is that what works for one might not work for another. Similarly, any side effects differ from person to person.

But as a very general rule, SSRIs are probably the most common antidepressants prescribed, in the UK at least. And I suppose that's because they're considered to be the safest and most effective medication for most people (I'm guessing this as I'm not a doctor).
SNRIs are another type of antidepressant that can be prescribed by a general doctor. I took venlafaxine (Effector) for a while as it's also supposed to help with hot flashes. Duloxetine is also used to help treat physical pain. So sometimes these are used if you have any co-occuring conditions.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
I am planning on starting next week and wondering if they have helped you or not? I think I remember seeing a thread about SSRI's and if they worked on not and that people not posting because they aren't suicidal anymore aren't here to give success stories so it looks skewed to them not working.
Yes, and I’m the first person here to criticise psych meds. Not so much now because I’ve been on and off them for 20 years and they just don’t seem to do anything (positive or negative). But when I first tried them (Prozac) they had a really dramatic positive effect. It took about 3 weeks, and in that time they were pretty nasty. They helped my brother as well. It really depends on individual chemistry though as someone said (sorry, I can’t see who bc I can’t scroll!)

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, I am on an SSRI and it most definitely helps, I had major stress issues before starting on it, it has leveled out a bit, I've been on an SSRI for 5 years now and before that been on numerous anti depressants but this one I like its effects much more, if it doesn't help you there are plenty of other anti depressants to try, if it does help then that will be brilliant for you.

Wishing you the best of luck :) Please do update us later on.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
SSRI and NSRI are both typically effective in treating depression but what I consider effective and what you consider effective might be different. Each person's expectations might be different for what an anti depressant will DO for you. It's important to remember that it's not a cure and it's not going to just magically make you want to get out of bed or go to work. Also to keep in mind that it's not going to work immediately. Give it some time to feel out how you feel overall. We're all here rooting for your recovery.

crazyk

SF Supporter
Yes they help me a lot. It takes a few weeks to kick in and you might need to try different ones because everyone’s different. I’ve taken the same one for 25 years. I’ve gone off of them a couple times and my depression gets worse. Wishing you the best :)

Freyja

Not staff. Freyja with a j.
SF Supporter
They help me as well. Although technically now I'm on an SNRI and a TeCA, the SSRIs I tried were not best for my situation and symptoms.
As many said before me, I guess what's important to remember is that no matter the antidepressant, anything can happen in the first few weeks and the positive effects may appear later. Typically, I was even more suicidal and moody, I had even more insomnia... It can be a discouraging mess in the beginning, but it's worth the time and effort. Analyze the situation regularly with your doctor to find what is best for you :)

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
For the most part, yes. I mean I'm less anxious but the suicidal thoughts pop up every now and then. But it's hard to find a medication that works completely since I have a personality disorder and that responds better to different methods.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00