have trouble being around people

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Darken, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

When I am around other humans I get really nervous and cant speak. I feel like i had this problem since i was in the seventh grade. I have always been much more anti social than every one else. like a loner. i dont fit in at all, if you ever meet me you will notice. im doomed.
  2. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

How so? Is it because you don't know what to say or can't find common grounds to initiate a conversation? Is it because you're worried that people will judge you?
  3. bEvans

bEvans Active Member

you can either try systematic desensitization therapy(google or wiki it), or you could go the much easier route and use weak anxiolytics or maybe antidepressants as a temporary way to deal with people while becoming desensitized to them and picking up more social rules of engagement. I used to feel this way too, I really wish I had help/ was willing to accept help back then.
    You can run over to CVS and pickup Valerian root capsules containing about 450mg of powder each. These can act as anxiolytics, meaning that they will reduce your social anxiety. As for antidepressants, you can get Saint John's Wort from CVS at 300mg each. They will give you a boost of confidence by selectively inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin by the cell which releases it. This causes more serotonin to be left in the synapse, thus causing the postsynaptic cell to be more strongly stimulated. wiki or google if you need to understand the terms.
    If you have to choose one, try the Saint John's Wort, but take it 6 or so hours before bed(although it may help others sleep, it used to give me insomnia).
    EDIT: does any of this sound familiar to you? these are some of my thoughts from a long time ago:
    1) I can't believe I said such a stupid thing. Look at them judging me and thinking that I'm worthless.(in retrospect: people have far more important things to do than think of my minor blunders)
    2) I have nothing worthwhile to say, so I'll say nothing at all.(in retrospect: I've missed MANY MANY opportunities by not sharing my thoughts on a subject being discussed.)
    3) I don't like me, so how could anyone else?(IR: despite what I thought, there were a ton of equally "weird" people out there with whom I could identify)
    4) Medication is for weak people.(IR: until you get a basic understanding of the physiology of the brain and its cognitive consequences)
    5) I'm totally alone in the world. No one else understands me, or could ever understand me.(IR: it turns out that most people wear masks, because they have to actually hide their true thoughts and feelings in order to fit in better. a lot of people have things in common with you, even people who you thought were the total opposite of you)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  4. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

I just need medicine?
  5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I disagree, don't ever only rely on medication, think of it as a push to help you out of some really bad depression you get sometimes, and when your a little cheered up, then you can make the effort to try to combat the things that are the root cause of the depression and then to hopefully wipe them out. I say that they are there to help you get into a state where you can hopefully help yourself.
  6. bEvans

bEvans Active Member

you don't have to wait for severe depression to kick in before hitting the meds. you can use it even for minor anxiety.
    almost everbody in american self medicates. whether it be a large dose of caffeine for the acute serotonin(although there are many other effects) or a few shots of vodka for the anxiolytic effects.
    check out your typical frat party in college: kids drinking or waiting to drink beer so that they can temporarily deafen their inhibitions(purely physiological effects of alcohol affecting their psychology) and work up the nerve to talk to a STD-ridden chick. you could just go to a typical party and only observe as "the creepy guy with the notepad." look at how some other socially inhibited people become really damn smooth after 2 beers.
    you can research the effects of alcohol through google or wiki if you want to understand more about physiology and self medication
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.