Have you been to a psychiatric hospital?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Pollo, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

Could you share with me your experience at a psychiatric hospital? that is my worst nightmare and fear, but I am aware that I may need to go to one, I am scared
  2. No1_knows_me

No1_knows_me Active Member

I was in a psychiatric hospital for a little over 2 days but that was more than enough for me. I do whatever it takes to avoid that place ever again. I simply don't understand how people who have been there longer than just for 2 days have managed to stay sane. I got so bored I bit my lips and stuff like that as bad as I could w/o them noticing it. Basically all you can do is just sit somewhere. Definitely a good place if you need A LOT OF time to think.
  3. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I've never been to a psychiatric hospital but I've been to a psych ward... an area of a regular hospital designated for people struggling with a mental health crisis. Where i live psychiatric hospitals are more for long term care rather than short term care however i have heard of people getting referred to them for a few days by a regular hospital's psych ward due to some very severe conditions.

Anyway i have been in a psych ward twice and i can't say my experiences were that great.

Basically though, you are assigned a room which you will most likely have to share with atleast one other person. The rooms are nothing spectacular they're a typical hospital room with the hospital style bed and drab white walls plus decor and all. You are then assigned a nurse, personally i didn't care much for any of the ones i was assigned for but hey, if you get a real bad one they switch every shift or so(8 hours?) your not stuck with the same one for your whole entire stay or anything. You are also assigned a doctor who will see you atleast every other day it really depends on the doctors schedule and when he/she is working.

Through the week you are required to take part in atleast one of daily activities and groups each day. However just a tip, if you are wanting to get out then it is best to make a positive impression on the staff by attending all groups and activities and atleast trying to engage in some conversation between other patients and staff. About the groups, there's usually 3 or 4 different ones each day. They have morning meetings at which they basically plan out the day and explain what groups are going on and sometimes they assign chores. Then they do exercise which is basically different stretches. Then they have a group which basically talks about coping skills and maybe explains about specific illness and then they do an activity which can be anything from baking/cooking to drawing and painting. To be quite honest most if not all are pretty 'elementary' if you ask me.

The groups are usually over by around 4pm after that you're allowed to make phone calls, accept visitors, and basically do what ever you want. This also goes for the weekends and holidays as well.

Also i'm not sure how old you are but don't be surprised if you see people significantly older or younger than you in there. Also one thing about psych wards and hospital is you have to open minded about things.

Anyway thats all for now. If i think of anything more worth while to add then ill add it.
  4. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot!!! It helped me to reduce my fears a bit. Well, I am sure hospitals are not a good place at all in any sense.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I have been to a psychiatric hospital, my stay was almost 6 months and I have to say I relished the chance to have the peace (my own room with a key) and a chance to think over what was happening to me without having to worry about anyone else....I came out much better than I was when I was admitted.

You have to be able to USE a service.
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

There are few psych hospitals here, only psych wards connected to local hospitals- my experience the last two times were unpleasant, the third time wasn't so bad because I knew exactly what to do to ground myself and get out.

There is no help here in the UK other than monitoring, stablising, medication and making sure you don't upset people who can be bullies on a powertrip; the help is inadequate if you are severely ill as I have been, can be and have a spirit similar to myself.

I've heard better experiences from people in other countries though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  7. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I've been in a psych ward 2 times. First time was when I was 16 or 17 and that time wasn't so bad.. I met a great friend there and we became very close until I moved out of state and we kinda stopped talking... The second time was last year and it wasn't so great... The doctors there were kinda jerks but I mainly was able to spend the majority of the time just reading.
  8. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Whenever you enter a medical system, it is good to have an advocate or have one assigned by the hospital (I know this to be true of US systems)...that way, someone can help you negotiate the system...J
  9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yes definitely. Especially if you're under the MH act here in the UK.
  10. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I have been hospitalised numerous times on a psychiatric ward, the longest stay was 3 months. Also I spent 18 months in 2006-2007 at the state security hospital in Carstairs (Scotland) which was a different kettle of fish all together. If you want to know more, message me as I don't really want to post much info about my time spent there :smile:
  11. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I was there for a week - Stayed in the adolescent ward though, so chances are it won't help you out any. Every hospital is different and some can be extremely worse than others. Mine was great, staff were great, psychiatrists and social workers were great, and all of the groups were great. You can check out one of my threads I started and I have a huge wall of text describing it more sort of, it is tiresome to write over and over to people :p The most important advice (to me) that I can give you is to look at all of the hospitals in your area and ask about opinions from others, maybe see if you can find pictures online and see what their daily schedule looks like. I know one a few hours away only drugs their patients to no end and gives them no other help - those are the ones you really need to stay away from.
  12. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

My longest stay was 6 months but i was in and out for over a year.. It sucks in the sense you are away from everything you know but its also good in the fact that you are receiving the help you need and deserve. If you know that you need to be in one than you really should listen to yourself and get some help. It was scary but i dont regret going. I met some awesome people who have helped make me who i am today. :hug:
  13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yep that's how it is here. There is no help apart from take yr medication, go to sleep, shut up/stay in and watch the widescreen tv play grating songs loudly over and over on MTV (or whatever music channel is out there now, I don't know).
  14. acecoffee

acecoffee Active Member

i m in uk , so maybe a slight different to us system , went in once when i was 17 , the staff is way more professtional in dealing with crisis then A&E , my doctor is extremely sensitive and so are majority of the nurse , but some could be terrible and sink you down , the wards hold actiivity which forced young people to follow (adoloesnt wards ) but the adult ward have more free time with few session of group time where you basically , emmm , chat .normally have your own room , and system of observation , n pivarcy if they think you are at serious risk , i had been watch when having shower or bath many time. but it is a really , or prob the safest place if you are in crisis to stay in , however once you stay a long time in there , and even if you get back out , it is hard to get back into the society. it has its own disadvantage and advantage .
  15. ipod

ipod Member

i went to one for a week about 9 months ago.... it sucks, big time. not really scary and it actually did help me out for about 3 months. you learn alot of things there...
  16. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

I stayed on an adolescent ward for 5 days, absoloutley hated it... They at first refused to discharge me, telling me they'd place me on a section..So i took it in my own hands to get suspended from the ward and things went from there..

I can see how hospital can do some people good, but it was not for me. The fact that I wasn't allowed out for walks, I had to be checked on every 15 minutes - which meant I couldn't shower longer than 15 minutes because they'd open the door if I did.

I had my own room which was nice - somewhere to get away when I needed to... As an Adolescent we were forced to spend 3 hours of our day in the education room, where we could basically catch up on school work we were missing... The adults got a lot more freedom than us. We could see them from the lounge just sitting outside most the day, smoking and on their mobile phones which adolescents weren't allowed :(

I was admitted on the friday, which meant that most people there were granted weekend leave..So there was just me and two others..We watched 8 DvD's in two days, because there was nothing else to do... We played countless games such as scrabble and spent hours playing the piano. Monday was when the routine really kicked in...Breakfast, school for 3 hours, lunch, free time, group/individual therapy followed by dinner and then free time for the rest of the evening.

I personally found it quite scary, and I feel that it made me worse... The majority of the staff were lovely, but I still hadn't had no individual therapy during my entire stay which meant I was getting more therapy before I was admitted to hospital.

Anyway if you are admitted I wish you the best of luck and hope that your experiance is a little more positive than mine :hug:
  17. lovesong

lovesong New Member

I was in a Psych Ward multiple times. To be honest, I never wanted to leave -- not really. It was safe. I had no obligations, no one was making me think about the things I was trying to avoid, there were people crazier than me around so I was no longer stuck feeling like the looney in the group. We did craft time once a week with the cutest little old ladies and when I was put on 24 hour watch the nurse that watched me during the day was this kickass guy that would have the best conversations with me.

Mind you, it wasn't all a walk in the park. I was pretty fucked up and tried to xxxx, xxxx, tried to run out the doors and ended up in a near physical fight with a nurse, and watched a younger girl that had really looked up to me smash in one of those glass holders for a fire extinguisher and try to xxxxx...

Still, whenever I start to get really depressed that's the first place I want to go because all obligations are off when you're in the hospital. I can literally drop everything in my life that's stressing me out and when I'm ready to go back all I have to say is that I was in the hospital and no one will question further.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  18. bloodredangel

bloodredangel New Member

I think psych units only really help if you actually want and feel you need to be there cos then you're more able to put up with the realities of it. Some are really awful but some are quite nice. And go as an informal patient - do not get sectioned. I'm on a section atm and it's awful compared with my previous stays in psych wards - you have absolutely no freedom and if you even want to go for a walk with a nurse for 10 minutes, you psychiatrist has to sign loads of forms :(
  19. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I just got out today actually. I was there for just over a week.

The adult psych ward was like completely full, or else i would have gone there. So i instead had to go to the general pediatric ward since im still under 19 which was good and bad. The staff were busy dealing with like the few sick people that were there or just talking in the nurses station so i had a security guard outside my room 24/7 watching me at all times making sure i didn't harm myself or run away or anything. To be honest there weren't very many 'sick' people in the ward there were lots of people with eating disorders and my last few days there was another person who was there for the same reason i was and we made friends. Honestly i didn't mind it... it was the doctor who sucked, it was for that reason only that i wanted to switch to the adult ward but they were still full. So thankfully i got let out early because i really disliked this doctor and ya she referred me to somewhere else.
  20. Suizide

Suizide Member

I was placed into two hospitals as a teenager for stupid reasons, or at least I thought so at the time. I was sexually abused at one of them. Unless you have buttloads of cash to go to a nice facilty where they will actually HELP you, don't even try anything.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.