Have you ever been in a psych ward? And, what was it like?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Petal, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Have you ever been in a psych ward

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm wondering what psych wards are like and how much they vary all over the world. Please post your experience here :)

2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

My friends ex in Devon said it was the worse experience he ever had, they were treated badly. His advice to me was "sort your head out Rich, before you end up there. Because it will kill you" maybe sounds extreme but since then I've never ever wanted to experience it. Or thought it an option.

Saying this devon and exeters mental health services haven't been updated since the middle ages I think. They pulled services I needed because they were too popular and couldn't cope.

3. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

giving up my human rights was no fun - had i known that's what i was doing, i would never have gone in

since insurance was paying for it, the pressure was to dump me into an outpatient program asap

and once i was there, insurance decided that they would only pay for 3 of the 8 weeks in the outpatient program

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No, kinda scared to go to one actually. But I might end up there if things keep going the way they are.

5. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Because of all of my suicidal attempts, I've been in and out of many psych hospitals. At first, it is scary knowing your'e among the "crazys" but then you calm down and get to know that not all patients are "crazy". Yes, most are locked down and most do not permit smoking anymore. There are many staff that watch over you such as the psychiatrist that prescribes your medicine, the psych nurses who administer the meds and psych techs to facilitate and monitor the activity and safety of the patients. All patients are closely observed and are charted daily. Psychotherapy groups are insightful and teaches many coping skills and educational materials regarding mental illnesses. I found them to be relatively structured, but the food variety varies and not all hospitals are the same. Some structure and rules are implied and should a patient "act up", action is taken by the staff to subdue the agitated patient for his safety and for the rest of the patients. I find that most of the time, I benefit from psychiatric hospitals and they help facilitate my recovery, but some are better than others. That's my brief experience and opinion about that.

6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

When I went for myself, I found it boring. There's nothing to do there but wait. I slept on a bed that was so small, I was afraid all night to fall off (but then I'm fat so), to be honest I was so happy to go home the next day. The people were nice though, both the staff and the patients.

last time my mom was admitted (she's schizophrenic) she stayed for a whole year and went into three different places. Each different but with the same principles. I'd rather visit than actually live there to be honest...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.