Have you ever been sectioned.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by stinkymouse, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

I have never been sectioned,but i have been to a psychiatric hospital on a "voluntary" basic,although it wasnt really,cause if i refused to go voluntary,i was going to be sectioned. It actally made me worse and i was there for eleven days..finally i was allowed home,and i never want to go there again.
    But what were your experiences of being in a psychiatric hospital?

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Here in the states if you don't go voluntary they baker act you. So then you have to go in front of a judge and he determines what is going to happen to you. I have been in the hospital ten times and stayed to my self. I would make a couple of friends who were girls. I just wouldn't trust my fellow man.
    The staff were always kind. Everynow and then they would snap at you but it was understandable because it can be overwhelming taking care of that many people. I always found it rather boring waiting for things to happen. As far as bad experiences I had none.~Joseph~

3. John_1963

John_1963 Member

I have not been but have been thinking about it. Have been thinking about going to the bank with a gun, too. Just to escape my messed up reality. I know here you have to be deemed to be a harm to yourself of to others and you have to get a referral

4. downmage

downmage Well-Known Member

If sectioned is being the same as being committed, I have been committed once for attempting to off myself on the freeway. To my surprise, there were a lot of others guys in there who tried to commit suicide and either failed or they had plans on doing it. The staff were friendly and helpful but there were also people in there who were "seeing things and hearing voices ". Those people were in worse shape than I was in. One guy paced the floor day and night mumbling weird shit.

They also made me sign some papers stating I couldn't purchase a firearm for the next 5 years. No problem, there are lots of guns on the street that I can get my hands on if I wanted one bad enough.

5. NPNS

NPNS Well-Known Member

I was admitted onto a psych ward a few times because of self-harming. Once I admitted myself, but didn't stay too long. I never want to go back there again. Everyone was really nice, buy I felt so alone and terrified. I suppose that was because of the circumstances I was admitted - that said, it is a safe place to rest and recouperate.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I was very close to being sectioned. The police wanted me sectioned but thankfully they didn't have the power to do so. So no I haven't :)

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I had this discussion with my psychiatrist when I was very close to killing myself. We decided it was probably unproductive at best. I'd be able to lie my way out of there within a week and would have had my trust betrayed by one more person I should have been able to trust. I would likely be closer to killing myself afterwards.

8. meh__

meh__ Well-Known Member

i have gone voluntarily twice because my old therapist thought i would kill myself, once because it was unsafe for me to be at home.. my experience was shit, when i was in the youth ward it wwasnt horrible but when i was 17 i was in the adult ward and it was terrifying. i was very out of it because i had taken a huge overdose but i could still hear the woman i was forced to share a room with for the night screaming passages from the bible and she also shit her bed. fun times.

9. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

I was sectioned in may '07. First i was on a police section 136 then at the hospital i was put on a 28 day section.
    My experience in th mental health unit were not very good on the whole. In all i have been in there 5 times in the last 2 years, mainly voluntary.
    I have promised myself i will not go in again no matter what.
    Lea x

10. sexisparkle

sexisparkle New Member

iv been sectioned before,i was in the denise schott unit it was basically my second home for a while,it was horrible x are u ok now hope u r mate!

11. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I had the shrink telling me it was a nice place to be. When I talk to her I call it the "looney bin". I said, well if it is so nice then how come people are always escaping, then answered back that was the public system. I had the cat team ring me once, and I lied my arse off and it didn't go any further.

12. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

yes. i was. find it hard to talk about though

13. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

I've been hospitalized twice - both times involuntarily. However, I did convince the doc to let me switch over to "voluntary" status after a day, and both times I was only locked up for 4-5 days so it wasn't TERRIBLE... But still. You lose a lot of rights as an involuntary patient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.