Have you ever called a suicide hotline?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by evenifiquit, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evenifiquit

evenifiquit New Member

Have you ever called a suicide hotline? If yes, what was it like? Did they help? What did they say?

I'm thinking about calling a hotline but I'm unsure if I should.
  2. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

I've called a few times and while its hard at first, they will be patient with you. There have been times when I had no one to talk to or just felt I was going to do something stupid and I'm glad I called. They will listen and try to understand your concerns and give you suggestions if you would like them, ways of helping.

Don't doubt yourself, please do call. And if by chance you don't like or don't click with the first person you get, just hang up and call back. Alternatively there are online chats (like instant messaging) via crisischat.org which I've also used.
  3. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

I called two times, around 2 Am , and only got a message - "we are busy now, please call back later".
    They left me high and dry. Almost hurt myself....but was lucky to link up with someone on line after a few minutes.
    That person helped me for about an hour, just talking about nothing in particular.
    By then I felt a lot better.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have called when i was at my lowest 4 times now and each time i was helped It was hard to call but i am glad i did because i did not feel so alone It help take me out of the darkness a bit just hearing a caring voice
  5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

There are good hotline "operators" and bad ones. Please understand that going in and so if you get one that is not helpful in some way, don't judge them all by that experience. I won't elaborate, but I do encourage that you give it a chance and if you do for some reason get bad results, don't dismiss it... and do try again.
  6. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I have, on several occasions now... there are definitely better and worse responders, but overall, I've found the experiences to be useful in helping me calm down, release my feelings, and feel a little less alone.

The process tends to be something along the lines of assessing risk for harm, hearing you out, and then creating a safety plan together and/or discussing resources, if you're willing. The one important thing I would say is, if you don't want the police coming to your door, do not say that you are immediately suicidal with access to the means you plan to use. That is where the line tends to be drawn, so if you just want to talk, but are not in any real immediate danger and don't want any unpleasant surprises, then just remember to stay away from those details. Of course, if you are in imminent danger to yourself though, then please be honest and get the help you need! Your life is worth it.
  7. Dhanjot

Dhanjot Well-Known Member

I've called about 20 times over the last couple of years. Utterly useless.
  8. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I cannot say that I have, but the thought has crossed my mind a number of times, when i was younger.
  9. 1000

1000 Member

Samaritans,, good, bad or indifferent they are not there to cure you but at 4AM an empathetic voice is a good distraction for me when I cannot do it on my own and feeling impulsive.
  10. lav11

lav11 Well-Known Member

ive called kidshelpline over a million times. At first i was terrified and ive had a fair share of cops or child protection being called because of it.. but they are amazing, i now have a regular counsellor there who i call once a month regardless just to check in, and the counsellor i speak to works late nights and a regullar schedule so i can call when im in crisis...

i definately recommend giving a call to suicide hotlines if you need, yeah some counsellors suck and are unhelpful, but thats when you hang up and call right back and get someone else :)
  11. In Singapore, the Samaritans suck!! I prefer to use the service here. No need to wait and no need to keep hearing the stupid music being played while you were put on hold.
  12. mackaroni

mackaroni Well-Known Member

I have had both good and bad. If you call one and am talking with someone that you feel is not helping ask to be transferred or just hang up and call again. Chances are you will get someone different!

The best part of why I have called a hotline is that I could tell this stranger almost anything and not feel judged.

Take good care of you!
  13. Word. Utterly worthless, just empty platitudes. Never any practical ideas or examination of my stressors. I doubt any of the responders could spell "psychotherapy", much less apply techniques to people in crisis.

Run by a local religious group here in L.A. County. Church/State separation? Never head of it! Ffs.
  14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there,

I have called hotline, 1life suicide helpline and the samaritans, I have had good and bad experiences, my last experience was very good. He was very helpful and really listened to me. I wanted to keep talking and talking cos he was so caring lol!
  15. I would imagine its often disingenuous. However for some it's ideal as some can find solace in strangers and pour their heart out. Me? I just want my heart to stop. If rip it out if I could.
  16. Sonjapearl

Sonjapearl Member

I called once and was BSed the entire time. After 10 minutes the girl literally hung up on me. She suddenly recited what sounded like a promotion and then hung up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.