Have you ever called the Samaritans?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by OnBorrowedTime, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've never call the Samaritan but was thinkin about it. Just wanted to ask if anyone ever has, and if so, how was it? How do they start to talk to you? Are they any good?

I know you can also go into your local branch and talk to them there but i'm not ready for that.

Please help.:blink:
  2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Hey there :)

In my experience with them, they ask questions, really - they 'emotionally listen', I'd say - they're not there to give advice, it's more focused about how you feel..
    How good they are, depends on what you're looking for really... If you're looking for a place to vent your feelings away to, to speak to people when you feel like things are too much etc, then I'd say go for it :)
    As I say though - be prepared for the fact that they won't give you advice on what to do, which can be hard to take at times..

Bear in mind that if you feel you can't talk on the phone, there's also the e-mail service they offer. :)

Hope things go OK for you :) :hug:
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I have emailed Samaritans and had good support, but like abacus21 says, they are non-directive.

I have also called our local suicide hotline here in Ireland. They ask more questions and do give advice and support, which really, really helped.

I didn't really know what to say when I called so I started like this "ummm...hello?" them: "hello" me: "i don't really know where to start, but i'm feeling very low..." and well we took it from there

i never thought that just talking to someone over the phone would ever help, but actually it was much better than i expected. the first time we talked for about 30 minutes, and then he called me back after another hour. i went from thinking that they would be the last conversation i had before i acted on my plans, to feeling calm enough to postpone my plans and get a good night's sleep. it really was a great relief to talk to a supportive, non judgmental person.

why not give them a call, and if you don't like how non directive samaritans are there's always the suicide hotline,

4. So I'm guessin the Samaritans don't get many calls then?

(I'm just goin on the lack of responses):mad:
  5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

They get a lot of calls - 4 million per year or something.

Two things to bear in mind: 1) Perhaps not many people have used Samaritans, and 2) It takes time for threads to be answered.

Give it a shot and ring them, you've nothing to lose by doing so :)
    Let us know how it went :)
  6. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

i havent rung them, no. but i wish i had the courage too,
    just try them, it might help.
  7. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

No Samaritans, no suicide hotline here in my country. Even if it was, I dont want the number to be shown on the bill.
  8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Whereabouts are you, touglytobeloved?
  9. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are, but if you're in the US, there is the 1-800-SUICIDE number.
  10. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Indeed. You could also try the international version of Samaritans - called Befrienders. See if your country is listed on there from the drop-down box :)
  11. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

No, its not on the list. There is one of our neighbour countries.
  12. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Ah I see.

You could try the Samaritans e-mail service? jo@samaritans.org. They aim to reply within 24 hrs of you sending the e-mail, and always did do with me :)
    It's totally confidential too - same as their phone calls etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.