Have you ever felt you are 'outside' yourself?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Pollo, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

Hey, has anyone felt like you are outside yourself? Today I have been feeling like I do not know who I am, like I am watching myself from the outside. I had this feeling before and it has been a trigger for my suicidal thoughts since it's when I feel I could do something to myself since I am not myself in that moment. I hope I made myself clear since it is hard to explain the feeling I have.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

oftne i feel i am on the outside looking in

3. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

24/7. I cant get myself out.
    I think its called depersonalisation.

4. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, because I probably am because I am an idiot lol.

That is called dissociation, and most people experience it at least once in their life. However, if its happening all the time and is detrimental to your life, its called depersonalization disorder.

It's a coping mechanism to trauma and/or tough emotions. It can lead to some bad behaviors.. so be careful and *hugs* Do you see a therapist?

5. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

thanks for the info! I appreciate!

6. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I get this feeling sometimes. Not very often, about once a month.
    I dont feel like im on the outside looking in, its more that i convince myself this life isnt real, that im hallucinating and just need to stop. My whole body feels numb and heavy when i get like this and it feels like im walking through a thick fog.

7. Juliaa

Juliaa Well-Known Member

Since i've been in college, I'm often feeling like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.