Have you ever given bone marrow?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Decode, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the dates for giving blood, i suspect i will book an apointment. Last time i gave blood at the doctors i went white as a ghost and felt sick but i'm gonna try.
    I seen the bone marrow thing and was just wondering if anyone has done it, sounds like its is quite serious. I'm not sure that i will do it but am curious.
    So has anyone done it?

2. Kirsty_Ann

Kirsty_Ann Well-Known Member

Hey, i haven't actually donated bone marrow myself, however i am a registered donor if they need me to donate but basically when you have your blood taken all you have to do is say that you wanna be a bone marrow donor and they will just take an extra sample of blood to put you on the register . . . you may never be needed but if you do,
    here are two possible ways of donating stem cells that you may be asked to consider.

The first, and most frequently used, is to donate stem cells from circulating blood. For the four days preceding the donation a nurse will inject you with a drug, either at home, at your local Blood Donor Centre or at a local hospital. This drug vastly increases the number of stem cells in your circulating blood. On the fifth day you will have a blood test to check that you have enough circulating stem cells. You will then be connected to a cell-separator machine, without the need for a general anaesthetic. The machine collects the stem cells from your blood via a vein in one arm, returning the blood to your body through a vein in your other arm. If you are already a platelet donor you will be familiar with this type of machine. Occasionally you may be asked back on the sixth day for a further donation, if the dose of cells obtained is not sufficient.

The second method is donation of bone marrow itself, which involves the removal of stem cells from your hip bones. This is done using a needle and syringe under a general anaesthetic in a hospital. Although this is not a surgical operation, there will be marks on the skin made by the needle. As there may be some discomfort where the needle has been inserted, you will need to stay in hospital for up to 48 hours and have a period of recovery at home of up to five days.

Hope that helps: sorry can't be more useful :)

3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

No that was helpful thank you, if they ask me i think i will say yes.

4. Kirsty_Ann

Kirsty_Ann Well-Known Member

It is unlikely they will ask as usually they are quite busy, but if you just even ask for more info they will be able to give it to you and even if you do decide to give the sample, you can retract at any time :)

5. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I am on the bone marrow register, and have been for about 8 years, and will donate if I'm ever a match.

If they take your bone marrow directly, through the hip, I am told that it is extremely painful. Apparently lots of people who have been on the register refuse to do it because of how much it hurts. But to me, that can't ever outweigh the fact that you are saving someone's life.

Thought you should know that it could hurt a lot, but ultimately it's a wonderful thing to do, and I would urge everyone to join the register.

Mim

6. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Aw... I don't know much about this but a nurse told me that since I am unable to donate blood or organs- I will not be allowed to donate bone marrow.

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Why can't you donate blood or organs?

By the way, in Canada, they ONLY do the bigass needle method. I would like to donate but that SCARES THE FUCKING SHIT OUT OF ME.

8. Deanna

Deanna Active Member

I registered as a bone marrow donor online. There's a national registry in the U.S. They send you a kit, and all you have to do is send back swab samples from the inside of your cheek.

I figure the actual donation procedure probably doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as it hurts someone out there to lose a loved one to cancer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.