Have you ever stood up to a bully?

Discussion in 'Bullying and Violence' started by PiecesMended, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I know there's a 'Got what was coming to them' thread but have you ever stood up to them yourself. Your bully, someone else's bully?

This girl always used to take the piss out of me and hit me so one time she said something to me on the stairs during lessons and no one was around so I smashed into her and sent her flying down the stairs. (okay I did feel a bit bad because having been pushed down them myself I knew they hurt) but after that she was suprisingly pleasent to me!:biggrin:
  2. loser

loser Well-Known Member

Yes and I regret it.
    I was getting racist abuse from a gang of youngsters. I argued with them and they threw stones at me and one of the stones went into my eye. There are problems with that eye now. The other is healthy. I was told I very lucky not to lose my eye - the visual impairment is not too bad.
    I do get bullied now by a neighbour. I avoid him.
    He is a very sinister character - respectable professional man.

If I retaliated he would get me charged with assault.
    If i saw him attacked I would probably turn a 'blind' eye.
  3. PiecesMended

i hate people who are racist, it's pathetic of them. I'm very sorry about your eye.
  4. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I tried to stand up to bullies at school but it back fired. It was never physical because of my size im pretty strong just verbal. I learnt to ignore them. I suppose that is when i really started to avoid people.

My older sister used to bully me when i was smaller. I remember one time when i refused to babysit her kids she jumped on me and kept hitting my head on a radiator until i told her i would baby sit for her.
    When i was 16 id just had enough of her. She tried to hit me and i just snapped. I got her in a head lock and enjoyed the look of shock on her face and the way her face started to change colour. I only let go when she started biting me. She hasnt physically hurt me since because she knows ill give as good as i get now. She is only verbally abusive around Mum because she knows mum will step in and stop me doing anything.
    I suppose you could say i have anger issues but theres only so much i can take before i snap, my sister learnt that and tends to avoid me now.
  5. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

I dont think you have anger issues hun. I would have done the same x
  6. PiecesMended

yeah ditto I think nearly everyone would have done the same.
  7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

No but it's on my 'bucket list'
  8. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

This guy who teased me since 8th grade was talking trash to my face in the 9th grade in front of people and instead of walking off about to cry, I got up in his face and yelled and cursed like there was no tomorrow. That felt so good, cause then after that day he never messed with me again. He walked off right before I was about to smack him :biggrin:
  9. MistyMaisy

MistyMaisy Well-Known Member

Hehehe have I heck.
    In 8th grade there were these group of girls that would gang up and mess with me, so one day, they were just really annoying me asking me stuff so when my sister pulled up to pick me up from school, I turned around and told them to f off. XD
    And this year, this guy kept making fun of me to my face, so I turned around, mocked him, then told him to shut up in a really angry tone. He's now nice to me. XD
  10. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

Sweet :D.
    I think I might have a clue who them girls were.. not to sure though.
    I almost smacked a group of them I know in the 8th grade for saying stuff about you.
    Lil' jealous *****s they were.
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yes i do it all the time, since i was a child and i've got myself in a lot of trouble/been beaten because of it.
  12. JRM

JRM Member

A few times I have. I don't know if it was the right thing, but there was a kid that used to harass me EVERYDAY in 7th grade with his band of lackeys... bullying back then was just starting to become the bullying that is now-- mostly through intimidation and psychological abuse as opposed to physical abuse. These guys just made me look and feel stupid all day everyday, until one day (literally with like 3 weeks left til the end of the school year) I stood up to one of this kids lackeys. He used to kick my chair in computer lab all the time. I wanted to just tell him to "stop" for literally months, but was always to afraid. Well, I finally did. And he stopped... after making fun of me some more. This sparked off more physical torment in gym, like leg trips while running... all the petty bull crap that kids do to one another. I finally got mad and went to the main one and called him out on being mean. The next day while running around the track outside in gym, this kid waited for me to be out of eye shot from the teacher and then he ran up on me and tackled me and beat me down. When I was done I decided I couldn't deal with it anymore, so after I wallowed back to the building (the LAST kid to come back inside) I interrupted the basketball game already in progress by the other kids. I tackled the bully and we wrestled around on the floor for a bit before it was broken up. The last few weeks of school were bliss. No more being picked on-- but what I didn't expect was that from all the bullying that had led up to that point, I had developed some real emotional problems out of it.

If someone is bullying you in school, it's NEVER the wrong thing to get help. It's not bad to confront your tormentors, but if I could do it over again, I would not have waited to the point where I wanted to explode to say something. I would have told the guidance counselor and asked her for a private mediation between just me and the bully to try to resolve the problem. It would have saved me years of stress in the long run.
  13. PiecesMended

Ah see, I never really did anything about the major bullies, just the minor ones. The ones who REALLY did it were, for lack of a better term, fucking evil to me. I did tell a teacher a couple of times (long story short, I was protective of my friend and they started on her) She left school because seriously, telling teachers made it like a billion times worse. It was emotional, pshycological, physical and even got sexual at some point. I'm not saying that you shouldn't tell someone if YOU'RE being bullied it's just that my school had a crap system. I don't think I'll ever get over this, especially the sexual stuff, becausit's the one thing I've never been able to tell anyone, as sad as that makes me.
    Wow that was long... sorry for waisting your time!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  14. JRM

JRM Member

No I understand exactly where you are coming from. And in some cases there isn't much you can do. I remember the looks on the gym teachers' faces when they broke me and that other kid that I tackled up... they seriously just had that look like they had not a clue what to do with me, so they just let me go. Worse, they let him go too... I just think maybe it would have been better either way if I would have just tried sooner, you know?

And if all else, join a Brazilian Jui Jitsu club, and the next time you're picked on just armbar the hell out of the bully without any warning whatsoever :p I think it just depends on the circumstance.
  15. shades

shades Staff Alumni

No, because they were bullies with an entourage and I could never get enough people together who weren't just as frightened as I was about them. A few of us talked about it but I guess there were enough people around me with some sense because it always came down to.."if we stick up to them, they'll just do something worse"!

I have heard what happened to some of the bullies I dealt with along the way. Two ended up murdering people...one of the murders taking place at one of the schools I was at. If I had been a "handball" player, it could have been me because he bashed the guys head against the wall in the court because the guy beat him.

I just don't think it's smart to stand up to them, because they are obviously sociopaths and psychopaths who are capable of anything...fucking bastards that they were and are if they are still alive.
  16. PiecesMended

Yeah, on a couple of occasions when it got the point that I exploded and went into a total fit the teachers didn't know what they were supposed to do because I was usually so quiet and well behaved. I think that if I had done something in the beggining then things wouldn't have escelated to the point that they did. One time in PE (well gym but that's what we call it lol) someone grabbed me inapropriatly and I freaked out and hit them and started screaming/yelling/swearing the place down. The teacher SAW it and just asked if I was okay and when I stormed off they just left me alone.

:lol!: That would be awesome!

Yeah all of mine scared the crap out of me because they were seriously out to hurt me not just joking around. And they actually thought through the best ways to torture me which makes them really fucked up in my opinion. No you're right sometimes it's not good to stand up to them but sometimes it's okay. It's a hard situation to judge I guess.
  17. antagonist93

antagonist93 Member

I was bullied from age 6-to present. Thats eleven years! At first i was a doormat but I think in the end you DO get sick of it and end up standing up to all of them. Everyone in high school HATED me because I was different....but It just made me even more detemined to be different so I got bright red glasses pointy cowboy boots and grew my hair reallly long. And I used to wind them up and tell them I put their names in a burn book and they actually believed me! I was a right rebel back then! In college its a LOT more discrete and not as often. Adult environment bullying is a very different beast.
  18. XsweetpoetX

XsweetpoetX Well-Known Member

Ive been bullied but ive never stood up to them,because I dont let what they say bother me. Cause deep down theyre just as insecure as I am.
  19. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Once I got to highschool, I stuck up for other people who were being beat up/bullied all the time.
    I never stood up to my own bullies because I wanted it to look like I didn't care what they said to me.
    It did though...
    but I had the appearance of being cool in those situations, at the very least.
  20. SCUK2009

SCUK2009 Well-Known Member

I've never stood up to bullies. I was alright in school, there were a group of boys who used to say things to me, and one time I got rushed in P.E. when the teacher wasn't there by all the boys, but school wasn't THAT bad. Outside school was worse though, got bullied quite bad by this one guy. I never said anything about it though and in the end he moved away, I regret not saying anything.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.