Have you ever stopped smoking?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by ali-wali, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ali-wali

ali-wali Well-Known Member

I've been smoking 6 years I'm 18 now, Obviously when I was 12 I wernt smoking alot just one a day if that, and then it went up. Now I smoke... Well I don't even know, I bought 4,000 Aranian cigs so I'm not keeping count. I've tried to stop and once went 3 weeks, but the cravings NEVER went and I just ended up buying some. How did you succeed in stopping? And do you still get cravings?
  2. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I quit for 6 years and started to smoke again some months ago....

But I could stop 6 years, and some days I don't smoke at all. When I quit I just quit. I mean I had no help but it was hard. I advise ou to get help, by your physician if you can.
  3. ali-wali

Well done on quitting, and hope you quit again! I haven't been to the doctors since I stopped doing counselling I didn't like the lady she treated me like a little kid, and unfortunately she works in the same building as my gp. I work in a hospital though so might see if I could get any patches through them. Fingers crossed for meeee and thanks for your reply xxx
  4. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

You are welcome, keep e updated. I hope you'll make it. No, I know you'll make it. Courage!
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

6. ali-wali

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

All non-approved tobacco products are by default banned. They haven't specifically allowed it so it's banned and smokers keep screwing up their lungs on the public's dime. -_-

I believe the inhaler is about £20 and the cartridges are cheaper than equivalent amounts of cigarettes, meaning an eventual money saving as well.
  8. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I've never tried smoking in the first place.

My mom on the other hand... she's been smoking since she was 11. She quit a total of maybe... 9 times; and always ended up going back to it.
    That is what happens when you are poor and have so much money-related stress, I guess? -___- you spend even more money on useless things like cigarettes.
    Yeah. Doesn't make sense to me, really... then again; I do much more pointless things like lock myself in my room for days and days without food when I'm stressed- so I guess I am no better.

She has tried the patch, the pill, the needle, gums, fake cigarettes, hypnotherapy AND laser treatment.
    She told me that laser treatment would have worked- but she was in a bad place when she had it done and all of the people around her were STILL heavy smokers when she wasn't smoking, so it lured her back into smoking through the second hand smoke.
    That sucks.
  9. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I quit once. Just got sick of it really so it was pretty easy.

Started up again when i was dumped. It's very much a stress related thing for me.

Not much point to my post because i don't have any suggestions. I'd say just do it cold turkey. Forget the patches and what not. All the best.
  10. Roots

Roots Well-Known Member

I never was a heavy smoker, I only smoked at parties and such (social gatherings). Started smoking regularly last year because of stress. It was a bad, bad year for me, and I found "relief" every time I took a cigarette.

Later that year I figured that it wouldn't make anything any better, so I just decided to quit. It was a big money drain also. Such a waste. Quitting was relatively easy, but then again - I had only smoked for a few months (it wasn't even a year). Maybe that's why it was somewhat easy for me.

I still get cravings when I'm stressed, but I just won't smoke anymore. I have smoked since I decided to quit, though, but that number of cigarettes - I can count them on one hand, and I haven't smoked one since August. I consider myself done with that habit now. I'd rather grab a chocolate or play a game to stress down. Not necessarily healthy that either, but, I think, more healthy than smoking.

You just have to decide that "enough is enough", I think. I agree with Domo, that you should just quit cold turkey. And think about all the money you'll save. You can buy yourself a "prize" after x amount of time (and no, not cigarettes). ; )
  11. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I wish i could! I'm chain smoking like a coal factory. :(
  12. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

i quit smoking for over a pear now after having been a smoker for over a decade...is was hard to kick it but it was worth it....i also read this book which made it easier for me to quit (Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking) after having try over 20 or 30 times to quit before and for whatever reason this book made sense to me and helped me quit smoking :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.