Have you survived an overdose?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Mikeintx, Jun 12, 2010.

?

Have you survived an overdose?

1. Yes I have.

172 vote(s)
    81.1%
  2. I have not attempted to OD.

40 vote(s)
    18.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

With the prevalence of OD attempts I am curious as to how many here have tried, and survived, an OD. I will start by saying that I have. Maybe with enough responses it can be a deterrent for future OD attempts.

Please also add any negative physical problems you have experienced as a result. Please make sure to NOT include any info on what medication(s) were used for the attempt. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
  2. Mikeintx

BTW this is a private poll.

3. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

im not even sure how many times i have...but its pathetic

4. kdt

kdt Member

yes i have and i regret it now but at the same time i regret i didnt die sometimes

5. Mikeintx

Negatives from my OD: Liver damage, memory affected, occasional starbursts in vision, feeling out of my body at times.

6. Gina

Gina Member

Stomach pumped. Didn't know how that would done. Learned that they flood your stomach to get stuff out through a tube in your nose.
    Two rounds of activated charcoal through same tube. Two because I kept throwing it up. Very unsettling feeling to throw up griddy very black stuff.
    Followed by a few days in intensive care unit and cardiac care unit.
    I don't really know medically what happened to me and I would like to, but can't get the records.

7. Mikeintx

Oh and I also would like to never throw up again, good god that was horrible.

8. will_1957

will_1957 Well-Known Member

If you want this to act as a deterrent I guess I can describe my experience.

I had taken a bunch of pills (I don't know if I can say what exactly here) in an effort to help aid me in completing another method which I won't mention. I took them in my car in a secluded parking lot not too far from my house.

That method didn't end up working as well as I'd hoped so under the influence of the meds I tried to drive home. That was a really scary experience and I was really really lucky I didn't crash and hurt somebody.

Under the influence I didn't really realize how serious it was and had hoped that I didn't take enough for it to be an overdose. I was so far gone I couldn't even figure out how to get in contact with someone to take me to the hospital. The number 911 somehow eluded me until I called poison control and they told me to call an ambulance.

Next I tried to throw up all the pills but I couldn't I just painfully dry-heaved a while until I realized it was pointless and I wasn't going to get the pills out of me that way.

I finally figured out that I needed to call an ambulance and writhed in agony a while waiting for the ambulance and barely stammering out full sentences on the phone with the operator. When the paramedics came I was so embarassed about what I had done, especially when they had to check that I didn't have any weapons on me.

In the ambulance I had tubes stuck in my arm and would have one or another tube in my arm the entire night. I was too far gone to focus on what the paramedics were saying to me but I know they were trying to comfort me because I was really panicked. Again I could barely stammer out responses to questions they asked me.

At the hospital I had to wait until my heart rate was brought down to a normal level (which took hours). I had to lay there in the bed with tubes in my arm not being able to sleep even though I felt about as tired as I ever had and I desperately wanted to sleep to escape this situation. Luckily I didn't need to get my stomach pumped. I just had to drink this terrible charcoal drink and lay there while they posted a security guard right outside of my room.

My experience could have been much worse but it's certainly not something you want to put yourself through if you can help it.

9. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Once twelve years ago and it was hell. I woke up with vomit all over myself and my bed. I stumbled to my kitchen at four in the morning in disbelief that I was still alive to call my girlfriend for support. She could tell that I was impaired and wouldn't tolerate "keeping it quiet" so she had me hospitalized.

I was very lucky to have not suffered any permanent damage but I do wish the attempt was successful.

10. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I have OD'd before, and the after effects were sweating, crippling stomach pain, head aches, slurred speech, and was shaking alot. Long term effects I'm not to sure about, but the day after was horrible and if I was on my own I dont think i wouldve been able to hack it

11. Lilly

Lilly Well-Known Member

i was caught..every time.and they stopped and then i spent pointless nights in that stupid horror place with the 'H' on it.....strapped down and freaking out cuz that place is so terrifying

12. Loxias

Loxias Member

Attempted an overdose once, I...did something wrong, I guess. Didn't take enough, or something. I woke up and I was violently sick for two or three days after. I don't know what else has been hurt by it since, I imagine there's some physical damage, but I couldn't tell you what. One thing I can say, is that at the mention of it, it makes me incredibly anxious and nervous.

13. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I would have died - it was almost certain - except that I didn't know that naloxone was something they kept around in the ER. I was luckily spared any long-term damage and even luckier things have improved for me to the point where I wouldn't want to do it again.

14. unwinged

unwinged Well-Known Member

my second OD was largest so far. second time in emergency and they didn't give me anything. my body survived that OD (won't mention how many as it might be a tip to someone). they checked my heart regularly and i was conscious the whole time. the first time was small in comparison so they probably thought the second OD was the same. but the second time, my blood almost stopped flowing and they couldn't take a blood sample for some time. they made about 10, if not more, attempts to my arm...

now i get pains, in my kindneys, liver? everytime i need a pain killer.. so i try to stay away. except when i feel like dying of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
  15. alices_ponder

alices_ponder Well-Known Member

Yes unfortunately I have.

16. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

:console: :hug:

Yes and I question how committed I was to "doing" it seems I survived u.u

17. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

This might not even qualify but I need to talk about it.
    Yesterday I was feeling "okay" not deeply depressed/suicidal.
    I had 3 "big" cans of beer. I took some of my anxiety pills. I've
    done that a thousand times. But I added one pill that I know has
    made me sick in the past. I don't know what I was thinking. I
    guess I thought if God wanted to have mercy on me, I would
    give him a little help.

Then it started getting weird. I took some pics of myself with
    my web cam. The last two, I actually wrote notes & held them
    up. I guess I talked to my mom & she was pretty worried. I guess
    I wasn't comprehending too well.

A few hours after I stopped, I got sick. Throwing up constantly.
    You'd think throwing up a few times I would start to feel better.
    No such luck. I got to the point where I felt like I was throwing
    up the lining of my stomach. Not good. Not good at all.

I deeply regret doing such a stupid thing. My head still hurts a
    bit. Today I was able to eat & keep food down so that's better. But my
    mood.......I can't even describe it.

When I was seeing a therapist, he told me drinking while on antidepressants
    was not the best thing. I guess it mess up the chemicals in your brain. One
    is trying to depress you (alcohol) & the other is trying to anti depress you.

I have never felt more alone in a long time. I pray this is like a bad
    hangover and will go away.

Sorry to carrying on. Thanks for letting me share.

18. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

It sounds from my own experience like you have alcohol poisoning basically it does not matter the amount you drink but when it reacts with something in your system you cannot stop being sick, as your body is rejecting the poisons, hence your stomach lining comes up, :)hug: I know how horrible that is) You will feel awful for a few days, and probably won't be able to hold much down.

When this happens to me I drink Lucozade because it has lots of glucose in and you can hold that down, water I found tends to come back up straight away.

PLEASE PLEASE if you still feel like this tomorrow, go to the hospital?

hope that makes sense =\

19. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

That makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for caring & the advice.

If I don't feel better tomorrow, I will call my doctor.

Thanks again :hug:

20. alle_vite

alle_vite Well-Known Member

Yes ive survived a few now... the first handful i couldnt keep the pills down long enough for them to work ( my gag reflex is rediculous) the last one i had learned the correct way to do it but come to the 4th day and my head took control of my head and i mentioned it to my best friend who made me get help ended up in hospital hooked up to some drug that would counteract everything i had taken but they stupidly told me i was going the right way about it and i was lucky i went in when i did otherwise it would have been untreatable!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.