Have you tried taking a break from modern technology?

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by ryan2012, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ryan2012

ryan2012 Member

It might just be the answer to your problems.

Turn off your mobile phone for a week.
    Turn off your PC for a week.
    Turn off your 80" Plasma Television for a week.

Instead why not go for long walks, exercise, read a good book, draw/paint, write, maybe listen to some relaxing music, go on a date? Just do things that dont involve sitting in front of a screen for hours on end. I'm not saying you all do this, and for some of you its what you do for a living, but I think its a good example of a change in habit, something you can experiment with, to see if it clears your head and helps you to find new ways of living that is right for you.
  2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I walk up to 50 kilometers a day and when working (travel writer) I walk everywhere to my destination, even if it is on the other side of the country so I live enough of my life without electronics thank you very much.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It does do some good to shut down the technology and just go for a walk it does help to just feel nature sometimes
  4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I totally LOVE getting out of the city, away from all media and screens and communication devices. We hike a lot (call it 'tramping' in NZ) and it's marvellous for clearing the head and settling the spirit. Also, long walks along beaches - wonderful :) "Consider the lilies of the fields, the sparrows in the air....etc." We are so blessed to have our eyesight to be able to take it all in :)
  5. ryan2012

ryan2012 Member

I'm sorry if what I said came across as condescending. I didn't mean it to be. I spend too long in front of my PC, playing video games etc. too. It definately pays to have a break from it though in my experience. I should follow my own advice. :D
  6. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I have considered it at times, but I can almost be certain that without it there could have been 3 fewer people alive. (as far as I'm aware of anyway).

1 was over a 17.5 hour messenger conversation (pc), 2 would be the son of 1, and 3, has been through constant reassurances online, via text, via email.

So I'm not likely to take a full break from it
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Even if I did all of that, I'd still have to come back to a crappy life. So I'm not sure how much of it would help.
  8. Solstadius

Solstadius Member

I do it all the time but as I am young the distance with most of my own generation people only grows larger. Culture where I live has almost lost it's roots. All the contact with nature comes from Hollywood scenarios and that kind of a dream where only these few are truly happy who win the lottery because they really need some luck they are too busy to work with own dreams they have too much craving for desire of pretty things and they have lost the meaning. We don't even have the knowledge for sub-cultures or something. Majority of us follows the cultural fashion of west. Just one main line. It's the age of youtube with no patience, click and click and click on to a new song and new joke with now patience every time on to a new plan. I don't say it's a bad but you know. No need for deeper meaning in around you means no need for deeper meaning inside of you. The feeling of peacefulness and how to feel the nature just fades away.
    I'll go to the woods myself I take long walks I read a lot I try to learn piano and guitar also to draw and many other things. But coming back to people here is actually hard because they always link the experience from home nature to some foreign culture. I'm actually a happy person from my nature but the thing is all the people around me can't see their roots which really lays here in our home. They want something they are not.
    I would really like to go some parties where to find only people who are confident from their roots. I don't mean conservative or something but that they can see they relate without alcohol and that they are more than these facile emotions from entertaining media.
    It's all related with nature. But really I don't complain. Still they like it that way and it's better if majority of them are okay with their lives not the other way around being me happy and them not.

I haven't used mobile now for almost 5 months. Rarely I watch TV but sometimes I use internet for learning purposes mainly.