Have you tried this?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Daphna, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I know treating people with respect and kindness when they don't care to do the same to you is not really appealing, but it has a huge affect. Have you tried this before? You may or may not see immediate results, but I believe if a bad mood is contagious, so is a good one.

What do you think?
  2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I'm sorry, is this open for discussion or is it a rhetorical question like the last one?
  3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I apologize for the confusion. It's an actual question.
  4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My take on it is a little different. I think we are who we are and we should treat others with respect and kindness regardless of their actions. Indeed sometimes you can see results from that, but the real goal should be to be the best person that you can regardless.
  5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

We are in agreement then. This is what I meant by what I said. But my whole point is that we do have an impact and we can prevent a negative impact being pushed on us. Thank you for your contribution. :)
  6. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

In an ideal world, yes. But your words "regardless of their actions" raises issues on a larger scale. How many people would treat their bullies with polite smiles? How many people would be kind to their rapists? How many of us would treat murderers with respect? Treating people with kindness, regardless of their actions, is akin to a lack of justice. Bad people don't deserve kindness and respect.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

99% of the time I smile at my neighbours, say hello to strangers even, for instance once I saw a woman crying at the day hospital, I helped her as much as I could to the best I could ('cos can you believe the staff there just ignored her?) it costs absolutely nothing to be kind or for a smile so I say why not? :) And the same applies for online too, be nice be kind be gentle, be prepared to get into trouble for being 'too' nice but overall I think it works out with a pretty good result. Nice thread too :)
  8. ImURGrandma

ImURGrandma New Member

Being kind is always helpful. It always backfires when I give In and act in a "like" way to someone rude. Always trying to be good to people.
  9. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

It is to a degree. Sometimes in extreame situations it can offer a situation that wouldn't normally be there. Which can cause an interuption in a aggressive individuals flow.

However, this is always down to a persons ability to care, and connect. Environments affect us dramatically, and we affect them in a similar fashion, unless we become lost and dismissed to those in that environment.
  10. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i think we should treat others like we'd like to be treated ourselves.

some people though, i'm sad to say... treat them with the best kindness- and they are still set in their selfish/ unfriendly ways
  11. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thank you Music. Being kind is always best in my opinion. It's free and it can be the help others need in the moment. It's always appreciated to hear kind words back as well. Blessings...
  12. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

You say bad people don't deserve kindness and respect? I can see how you can feel this way with this point of view. I thank you for sharing how you feel. It's your right to have feelings and opinions. I respect that. My opinions and views differ of course. For one I believe if I want the world to be a better place I need to actively do my part to make it one. Not saying your don't. For two I know that each and every person on this planet began as a cute innocent and helpless little baby, and like me was molded by the unfortunate circumstance beyond their control. We are all products of our environment. But I also am empowered with the knowledge that I can break that mold and allow myself to be reformed to how I was originally intended to be, and this is where I can find compassion, grace, and kindness for those I meet.
    Justice? To me it is just to treat all people in this way because I know deep down they aren't their actions or who they even believe themselves to be. I trust that there is justice in life but I am not the judge. I leave that to whom it belongs and I try to do my part to the best of my ability. Seeing how I am so flawed, I don't believe its my place to judge anyone else. Blessings..
  13. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

It's refreshing when kindness is shared, but it is rare. People mainly walk around and just react. By the time someone kind comes along they're overloaded with cruelty. I believe these people need even kinder treatment. I believe they need to witness someone kind to go the extra mile in order to truly feel the sincerity. Rudeness could also be a defense mechanism as well. Many are afraid to be kind because they look at it as a weakness. Either way, good for you for being kind when you can. It does make a difference. Don't stop! :)
  14. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thank you for answering my post. I agree with your reply. I better go put the kiddos to bed. Blessings
  15. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Change happens over time. People have to be shown there is another way to be and act. It's up to them to learn. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am off to bed. Blessings..
  16. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

This was in response to IAMURGRANDMA sorry I didn't clarify this sooner. Blessings...
  17. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

This is in response to SBLAKE. :)
  18. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

This is my response to EMILY83 :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.