Having an animal put to sleep

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Scum, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm in a few situations where I have to think about this a lot, especially at the moment. People say to me that its the worst/hardest decision that we ever have to make.

I have found that I disagree. If I truly know that it is what is best for the animal, then to me, its the easiest decision in the world because I always try to think about what's best for them at any given time and if that is to be put to sleep, then so be it- its better than them suffering.

For me, after (or before, if I know it is coming), it breaks my heart to lose a friend and if its a long term illness I get very anxious about making sure I get the time right, but really, for them, I find it so easy.

I just wondered what others opinions on this were. Do you find it easy? Or hard? How did you find having to make that decision for a loved animal friend?

Sorry if this upsets anyone, by the way, that's not my intention. I'm just in the stage of knowing the decision may or may not be coming, that's all.

2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I found it so hard with my Chyna boo, that I coud not even go to the vet when they put her to sleep.

She had a very aggressive form of stomach cancer.

3. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

i think some circumstances make it harder than others

we had an old dog that developed cancer - it sucked, but the choice was not tool difficult to make

after i got married we got a kitten from our neighbor - 8 weeks old - we'd actually seen it born

he was maybe 10 years old when he developed diabetes - we were not in a financial position to pay for the cost of nursing him back to health or ongoing insulin injections - that was very hard on both of us - after we made the decision, i had to ask my wife to tell the vet - i just couldn't handle it at that point

4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Its defiantly not a easy thing to do. Ive never had to have one of my animals put down for illness, but my mom had to put our rescued collie down. The collie was abused for most of her life, long story short she was extremely fearful of males and when we adopted her, it took her a good 30 minutes to warm to me, but I was a teenager, and for adult males she was weary unless myself or my mom introduced them to her. Anyhow again to make a long story short, she got out and bit someone. Not badly, but my mom had her put down. We lived near a school and our house was on the the direct route for kids coming and going to school each day. Putting lilly down was something that hit me pretty hard. I was very.. elightening to watch the life fade away from her eyes and body. I was a mere 3 feet away when they did it. It was the first time I experienced death in the moment, and a determined death by us at that. I loved that dog I think, cause when she died every bit of self control dissappeared and it just hurt. Its not something Id ever care to repeat,.. i dont know about if one of my dogs was suffereing though. Id have to be pretty damn sure they couldnt enjoy anything out of life before Id do that again. I dont think id ever want to be immune to those feelings that overcame me.

In anycase its tough. A lady who has one of the staffies from us, told us that they bought a puppy for their daughter prior to recieving one from us. They had it for 6 weeks I believe, and took it to the vets for its jabs only to find out the dog is a illegal breed in the UK, and the vet told them that he had to put it down. He gave them the choice of putting it down there with them or later but they couldnt leave with it. It really hit them hard in many ways.
    Anyhow, I found it hard, I dont like unnatural death

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for all your losses.

I can definitely see that getting an animal put to sleep, such as Lily, where its for someone elses best interests, and not hers would be devastating. In that sense I'm lucky because all the animals I have are not going to be a risk to anyone else, so that's not a situation that will ever arise- probably why I had not thought about that.

I am sorry you guys have all lost furry friends this way.

6. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I think it does depend on the situation. But generally (for me anyway), the decision to put an animal to sleep wouldn't be the hard part. I would want to do what's best for the animal, and if that meant having to put it to sleep so that it didn't suffer, that's what I'd do. I watched my father keep a dog around that was suffering horribly, all because he couldn't face putting it to sleep. I couldn't put an animal through that.

7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think these are my feelings about it too. I'm sorry about your father and his dog.

8. 41021

41021 Banned Member

sorry if i don't make too much sense today.

anyway, over the years i've had to face this situation many times. also frequently counsel folks in this situation.

it hurts and i am sad and cry when in this position. I don't know if it is actually hard...it is hard to let go, but it's not hard to make the decision to relieve their suffering. i feel mostly compassion. often it requires spending a good deal of time just chilling with the animal/companion/friend. I remember laying in the barn one winter, freezing cold, i covered with a small wool blanket, i threw my full length lambswool coat over my buddy and i read her a book-some silly kid story. i'd see a look in her eye and it seemed she wanted visitors so i'd bring some of the other animals over to visit with her...holding up water to her lips, you know. when it was time for her to go, it was easy enough to let go...i'd rather her not be in pain. i still cried though. she had been a friend for at least 12 years.

Recently had a horse who came just to live out his last days, horrible story too. physically his head was so deformed, most ppl could not handle looking at him without some gut reaction like vomiting/gasping...it was bad what was done to this poor fellow. the vet agreed, let him live and enjoy his last days (lasted a year), and when he shows signs of pain, call the vet out. that's what i did. glad i did it too. he spent his last year just being a horse. had his friends and many acres to roam and explore, pond to swim in, ppl who cared.

been in many situations where i've had to deliver a quick injection to a severely injured & suffering animal. never hesitated and couldn't get the job done fast enough. compassion. don't want to see someone suffer or in pain...so why do we make each other suffer and even force each other to suffer by locking up ppl we love in a cage. i'd never look at one of these animals and try to convince them to just tough it out or hold on. :sad: so why do ppl tell me that...it's like kicking me in the teeth :sad: sorry.

Oh, and i am referring to animals in serious pain. over the years, due to the work i do, there have been those who simply die a quiet natural death as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  9. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I did not let my dog go I am one cruel bitch... Now I have got damn big bill and no idea how to pay it... He have got this and that but vet say there is still a chance bla bla so now he eat loooooooooooot of painkillers and antibiots and his leg is painful at least 3 weeks and I am selfish and hate me more but I am a demon :evil:

poor doggy he sleep now and he is tired so tired and meds are mixed his head ... Last summer when he went cancer surgery I promised no more surgerys but .. But the vet said... And I am one cruel bitch... He is old and lot of mess on his body but he have still that look, sparkles on his eyes. ...

It is the eyes why it was easy to belive the vet this time. I did not believed vet when I have to do it for my first dog, vet said he can live with daily painkillers and this and that but I saw my first dog just suffering because his eyes was mirror of pain. I let him go before daily painkillers but not this one yet, obviesly I did not let him go but he does not need daily painkillers yet (except 3 weeks now)... My thoughts are not clear at all right now because this all happend today.

Sorry world WE are still here and WE BOTH BITE!!!!

10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for what's going on. I don't think you are a cruel bitch though because you are listening to your dog and what your dog wants. You made the decision you thought was best for your dog at that time, which is all anyone can do. From what you said about your other dog, I think that if your current dog changed his mind and lost his fight, you would also do what you thought was best for your dog then. That's all any owner can do. I'm sorry you are going through this with him. I sure hope he gets better super fast.

I'm also not sure why you're replying to my thread when you told me to not reply to you and to leave you alone, but if you stay civil then its all good :)

11. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

Things fight together, not people was what my gp taught for me.

Yes I needed to leave alone on that current thread.

12. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Good deal :)

13. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

this may sound cruel to some of you, but as i have stated in another tread i have worked over 10 years with animals. it has been my job and part of that job was euthanizing them which i did meself. the worst part of it was euthanizing the animals from which i knew they havent been taken care of properly, in other words it would not have been nessecary at that early age. this experience is what i believe a huge reason for my current depression. i am an animal lover and i cant stand seeing that some people do not take care of them. i have seen things that can not stand daylight.
    euthanizing an animal with no perspective of further life is so much different then euthanizing an animal from which i knew would not be nesecary if only the owners would have taken better care of them, i tried as much as i could to inform people how to take proper care of them but still i doubt if all i did was good.
    i still hate thinking about those times

14. 41021

41021 Banned Member

flyingdutchmen ****hugs*** for you
    :hug:

15. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Im so sorry flyingdutchmen. I can relate to that a lot, but from a different perspective. I'm deeply sorry it haunts you so much (although understand why it does).

16. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

Yeah, when I was more active at animal activist and keep courses was such a pain tried to open peoples eyes.... Even on streets especially when I see young dogs I ask owner if he/she does mind if I give advice on some problem what I can see. Many who listen to me but did not do what I told have said for me after " I remember what you said, I should do what you said". There was LGD whos owner was my student of our dog training school. I told her many times that when dogs motorn patterns start to go active, dog goes like motorn patterns tell so make sure ("make a wall") that the dog stay in backyard. There is no anything else what can stop the dog when dog goes after motorn patterns. Next summer I saw the owner and dog was dead because "they did not want to screw the backyard making high "wall" because of the dog. Owner said I should listen to you and do what you said.. One great dog was lose because of owner again...

17. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Stories like that, and like Flyingdutchmen's, make me so sad. :(

18. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I read about 2 years ago lot of trial cases about animals. I cried and was so fustrated and full of hate and felt so worthless because I knew there is nothing what can help them anymore... It took so much that can do work where real have to see all that horror.

There is much of little things which make people feel they have done something to help but what real help is stop all before anything happend or just let them go away this painfull world, that takes a lot.

I apperiace really much people who do random activity stuff because they are the ones who show all the horror for the media for example. How many of people can really do things like tape torture from china fur farms etc. Or see tracks of violence and trying to fix it or put them sleep.

And our daily choices are connection of different kind of tortures like make up, moistures, shampoos etc. are connection of animal testing. There is so much painfull animal testing for nothing... And our laws suck damn.... pets, farming, all... animal wealthy is written in law but is not exist when needed... And all what they say is you have to report police officers who do not care... For others who do not care and make a law suit and judges do not care either... Laws just sucks damn, I wish I could change our animal "saving" law.

19. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

You can make a difference Sammakko. You can't stop all that's happening, but you can make a difference to those who have had tortured lives.

I too wish the law was different for animals. It's just a case of working and fighting for each individual. Anyone can make a difference.

20. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

It's always hard... but it's harder to watch the animal live in pain every day.

After 21 long years, my oldest cat; Middi will be going to sleep next week.
    She's been around for me since I was a baby and last year was operated on and put on medication for severe spinal arthritis. In cat years, she's like... ANCIENT! She doesn't even recognize us anymore and spends hours sitting in the hallway, staring at the wall.
    Once in awhile she comes back and will be active and will curl up in your lap- begging for attention... but that time seems to be lessening more and more.
    It's going to be hard, but I'd much rather see her go peacefully.

But... I know once she's put to sleep and goes to kitty heaven she won't be in pain anymore, and will eat all the wet food she wants without getting gassy! XD

I had to experience 3 major pet deaths in my life so far; and neither of them had the chance to be put to sleep. If I'd have known that they were having a hard time- like Middi- I'd have done the humane thing and put them to sleep.
    One day I'll do it for my Sheeba, too. ... but not for awhile! She's still too young! T__T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.