Having children and depression

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by random33, Oct 1, 2014.

1. random33

random33 Well-Known Member

I'm not currently planing about having children at the moment, but I've been thinking about that.
    I'm in a commited relantionship and I would really like to start a family with her, but it scares me to death the possibility that my children may be born with depression, I hate this disease, would not wish it upon my worst enemy, so just knowing that my children could share some of the feelings I've experienced breaks my heart, I really don't know if I'm being selfish or just realistic.

My family, on my mothers side, as a long story of depression, my mother is depressed, 2 of my aunts are also depressed, one of them actually tryed suicide a couple of times, my grandmother was depressed, my great grandfather was an alcohoolic that commited suicide, so it's not too far fetched to think he also had depression.

I would just like to hear some opinions about it, it's sad to say, but I wished so many times that my mother decided not to have kids, that I haven't been born, don't get me wrong I love my mother and I never blamed her for anything, but I just wished I had never been born sometimes

It's not just the fact of having kids, it is also about raising them, I'm scared that depression get's worse and I would not be able to give them the love that they deserve :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014