Having children is selfish

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Sarr, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarr

Sarr New Member

We live in a world of suffering, sorrow, pain, crime, catastrophe and death. What kind of world is this to bring a child into it? Why people have kids in an horrible world like this?

I think when people plan on having a child only think about themselves.Parents don't take into consideration the interests of the child when they have a child. They don't think about what a child will be, or what he'll/she'll do with their life when they grows up. They have a child, and if something goes terribly wrong, the child has to take responsibility for something she didn't ask for in first place. There is a possibility of creating someone whose life is nothing but misery. Is it really worth it to bring a child into this world with all the s*** that's always happening? We've got wars, economic trouble, corrupt governments, poverty, famine, overpopulation, starvation, disease, the list just goes on! Why would someone knowingly bring a child into the world when they'll eventually suffer?. Life contains joy too, but pain is usually the stronger emotion. I believe life is a serious burden that no humane person would inflict upon anyone.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is a world that is 1000x safer and more hospitable to children and life than that of 1000, 500, or even 100 years ago - by far. Unfortunately is also a world where things have gotten so easy a sense of self entitlement has become the norm and all believe they are entitled to a life of no work, strife or hardship and that if everything does not come easily and every whim and dream is not met without effort on their own part then there is something "wrong".

3. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Really? I don't believe most people believe they are entitled to a life without having to work, but whilst we're on the subject, I do believe people should be able to live without having to go to work, considering there aren't enough jobs about, I don't believe leaving people to starve to death is a humane thing to do... Here is a link to a Guardian article about the amount of jobs per jobseeker in the UK, dunno about globally though... and I'm not sure what you mean by strife and hardship? If you include bullying, then I'm entitled as fuck and proud of it, because I don't believe that sort of shit should be accepted as "just part of life".

I agree with this though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  4. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I believe children are a blessing, and I also believe that one of the purposes in life is to reproduce. Now; that is only one of many purposes. I raise my children with the hope that I have, and by the knowledge I have gained. This will help them cope with this world. Selfish? Not at all. This is what happens when a man and a woman come together. The two become one flesh in the form of a child.
    Everything in this life reproduces when it follows the natural order of things. Birth control is just an invention. It's not natural.
    If you truly don't agree with people having children; don't have any. You can only control yourself.

5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I would like to add that I agree with OP about one thing. People have the potential to be beyond cruel. There are no words for the horrors done in reality for greed. The depths are staggering and everything falls victim.

On the same note people are capable of so much more. I grew up with no hope or care for humanity. I couldn't even stand myself half the time.

But I write to you today a completely changed person. It wasn't magic, it wasn't chance; it's from my own transformation by a force larger than life. The purist love I have ever found and ever will.

It's a pure miracle. That's the only way to truly describe it. And it unleashed my own endless capabilities of feeling and displaying my own force of love from within myself.

Having lived the life I lived and having changed as drastically as I am changing; I know there is hope for the human race. Our choices can and will change the world.

We do have that power. Don't give up hope. Search for it. Truly seek to find it with the mainframe that you will find it. I am no more special than anyone here. I found it, and I gained the understanding I never dreamed of having; just by humbly asking for it.

I hope that one day you change your mind about children and people. The children are our future. Being a parent is the most amazing experiences ever. And one of the most enlightening experiences I am living through. It's a humbling one for sure.

I have helped produce little people who fully rely on me for love, protection, and knowledge. I have the power in raising them to be the people this world needs. You wanna change the world? Have kids and teach them to always do what's right. They will carry this teaching through their families long after you are dead and gone.

Is it selfish to raise children to share love, compassion, morals, empathy, and selflessness with the world? Is it wrong to provide a home filled with everything I was denied as a child?

I would say not. I would say it's my duty to have children to provide everything a child should have and more. I am not talking about spoiling them with material junk either. I am talking about character, respect, sincerity, and integrity. Most important providing them with meaningful direction.

Blessings...

6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Life on Earth has always had dangers, risks, and cruel twists of fate. Life also offers times of great beauty, blessings, love, and joy. The good and the bad are not mutually exclusive. Unfortunately, some people face more challenges than others, and that does seem unfair.

As for bringing children into the world - I don't think ALL parents think only of themselves. Many people review their emotional and material reserves before they have children. Yes, catastrophes of all sorts happen to some, and people - including children - must deal with the challenges and pain. There are some inspiring people in the world who face their challenges with strength, grace, a willingness to keep going. Learning to appreciate the good (how great or how little) we do have in life seems to be an essential ingredient of their "success." And striving to make their lives "better" or "as good as they can be" (considering their challenges) seems to be another factor.

The world does have its problems. It can be a nasty, hard place. Since people are going to continue to have children - whether it is for selfish purposes or because it just happens or because they are prepared to raise those children in love and hope - we who are already here can choose to be citizens of the world who offer more love and hope. We can find ways to make the world a better place for all. There are numerous ways to become involved in that, from donating money to causes, to offering a helping hand to someone on the street, to becoming a medical professional, to being the engineer who designs a water purification system in a country devastated by natural forces, to being a volunteer at a seniors' home, to going on a third world mission to help orphans, to being a personal support worker, to simply bringing a friendly smile to someone at the office, to working for an environmental group...

It's not all darkness. And we can be lights of hope. As NYJmp notes, it takes some effort. In my view, making the world a better place for all requires effort from all of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.