Having Depression Boosts Dementia Risk

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10507074.stm

I saw this article today and it scared the life out of me. As someone who does bank (i.e. temporary/part time shifts) with elderly people who are suffering from dementia and alzheimers I know first hand exactly how debilitating it can be and how quickly a person can deteriorate to the point of where they are almost unrecognisable to their loved ones and of course, vice versa.

2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I used to like to keep myself informed of medical news, good or bad but I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that article. :hiding::hiding:

3. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

That is bad news indeed. Luckily, the article clarifies that just because there is a link, it does not mean depression is a cause.

Most of you that read that link would have thought to search for this already, but here is an article on how to reduce the risk of developing dementia. It is handy info for everybody, not just those that got a scare from the BBC article.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

No that doesn't scare me in the slightest. I don't pay much attention to neurological evidence in articles written by the press about mental health problems- because it's used as a poor subsitute for thorough research and journalism (that isn't purely neurology based and has NO analysis or discussion as seen in this article) and might be a lot more....difficult to accept by the general public. I've seen it many times before.

Has anyone heard of inflammation in the brain being part of depression? I mean- this is the first I've heard of it?

And why doesn't the article expand on the different types of depression? Surely this 'research' is poor and not something to be taken seriously if there is a lack of basic understanding about the spectrum and complex nature of depressive disorders?

And this is crucial. I wonder how many people after a certain age are in fact, severely chronically depressed and dissociated rather than having dementia? And does the article ever take into account that many people regardless of age, are misdiagnosed-, symptoms can change, people can get better/worse- and the flux happening in one's mental health throughout their lives, rather than saying ok, you were depressed X amount of times- that means every single time you were depressed, it was for the same reason, for the same time period, had the same severity, and your life didn't improve between episodes. Y'know?

It's a bit doom and gloom scaremongering as far as I see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  5. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Good news everyone! If you live long enough while being miserable, your brain will betray you even further!

Hooray life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.