Having Embraced Death...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by -Deception-, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Deception-

-Deception- Well-Known Member

... I see things from a new perspective. This is regardless of whether I take the subway to work, order lunch, watch TV and or take a look outside the window.

What I observe when I do all of these things appears to be some sort of charade, a masquerade. A hapless gathering of people making comedy while their intent is to be gravely somber.

I see them living their pathetic, meaningless lives without any regard to deeper understandings of things. They all just seem so miserable without knowing it. Until recently, I thought I was depressed. That the cold and numb feeling within me was something unnatural, something that made me "miserable". But I know now that I am the fortunate one. That these people, who are serfs under lust, love, hate, desire, envy and social pressure are the miserable ones. That the indifference I'm experiencing in fact is what enables me to willingly lay down my life without mortal fear.

Knowing that I will soon depart from all of this, that I soon will hover above it all and fade away... it's such a relief! These crazy, unstable people living in the society surrounding me haven't given one single thought to philosophy, to their own purposes or indeed even the mechanisms behind their ever so strong will to live. They will never, NEVER find what they seek. It is the secret of human affairs that we won't ever reach our goals, that we are granted the ability to contemplate all the "Why?"'s of this world yet lack the ability to truly find any answers other than the ones we find in simple science, that one accomplished mission leads to the desire to complete yet another one and after that yet another one. More money, more problems. These people who stress their hearts out to pick up their children from practice, cook for the family, pay the bills and plan the vacation are so trapped in this utterly insignificant and ultimately empty life that I couldn't possibly desire to share their human fates. The fact that this life is a race without a finish, without a goal, makes the agony of life everlasting until we die.

Arthur Schopenhauer, a rare bearer of truth, once said: "It is the tall pine which is cruelly shaken by the wind, the highest summits that are struck in the storm, and the lofty towers that fall so heavily."

Hard work will, in this world, inevitably be in vain, for it is imperfect and it is human. In this world there is in fact only one absolute, one thing true for all things; and that, ladies and gentlemen, is death. Alas, how ironic, if not tragicomic, that death happens to be the one thing humans fear the most! We seek stability and eternal truths throughout our lives, yet the one truth lying right before our very eyes is the one we reject until old age and disease literally beats us to death. I'll never understand this irrational fear of death that most humans harbor.

If you want to read more about the subjects I've merely touched upon, I recommend the true philosopher, i.e. A. Schopenhauer. Read a brief and excellent article here: http://www.enotalone.com/article2/16384.html

2. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Beautifully composed.

I've made this argument a few times and would like to supplement: Illusion. The child creates the illusion of a monster underneath the bed. Whether a monster inhabits there or not doesn't matter. The feelings of fear that the child experiences is very real. The child has the precious ability to create illusions. To pull a veil over his/her head and convince him/herself that it is real. Purpose and meaning to life is something we each delude ourselves into believing. We create our own illusionary worlds whereby we set our goals, meanings, and standards. Whether this purpose is objectively real or not is irrelevant. But the so called "feelings of happiness, fulfillment, experience etc" that people have as a result is very real. I don't see anything wrong in creating illusions. If you believe in that illusion, then the sky is the limit for you.

But we've lost that ability to convince ourselves of our illusions, haven't we? This ability seems to define human-ness. Having being released from the matrix, it seems like we see the objective truth. No mirage or haze will hide that anymore. We can't be human anymore.

3. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

4. ZeroGrrl

ZeroGrrl Member

Deception and Erebos, you are both wise people.
    Thank you for posting.

5. dreamstar

dreamstar Active Member

Hey Deception just want to say that I really loved your post! Such deep thought provoking truths about the ultimate futility and vanity of this life. Its all like a striving after the wind. People will never find that happiness that they so seek. Yes so many people are completely blind and deluded to these deep truths. Its amazing. Its like some kind of blinding spell or something, lol. People like us are of the few fortunate who are able to see through all of the BS of this life. You sound like a really great writer. You should definitely do more writing. I share your thoughts on these things very much but I believe there is hope of something better than this one day. I dont think this life is all there is because if so it would definitely be one sad, pathetic joke not really worth anyone's time, lol.

Take care,
    Sonia

6. protonaut

In case you didn't get the hint, I posted the link to Schopenhaeur's writings to point out that you need to read the philosopher again once you're in a more objective state of mind.

If what you experience is truly "indifference", then why do you describe the lives of others as "pathetic" and speak of them with words of disgust ? Why should someone who's devoid of emotion focus so much on the lives of others? Perhaps you see the irony here.

Who are "these crazy, unstable people" you refer to? How do you know they "haven't given one single thought to philosophy" or the other things you've mentioned?

Generalizing isn't the best way to prove a point.

"They will never, NEVER find what they seek." Who is "they" ? Also, how do you know what everyone else seeks? I happen to find contentment in actions as simple as breathing, and have learned to accept pain, and to enjoy a simple life without the expectations that others sometimes have. You seem to erroneously assume that everyone else is controlled by a desire for things we'll never attain. Suffice to say this isn't true in every case, and certainly isn't true for many Buddhists. Why does life need a "finish" or a "goal"? These are concepts that you're attaching to your idea of life, it needn't necessarily be true for others. I don't need a "finish" or a "goal" or an "afterlife" as a reward, I'm quite content with what I already have here. Living is a reward in itself.

I don't fear death, does that make me inhuman then? I don't seek eternal truths either. When one understands how ignorant humanity truly is, and one realizes he or she is a part of that humanity, the idea of attaining eternal knowledge seems pretty absurd.

It seems to me that you're afraid of life and looking for an escape. I'm not opposed to that at all - but you don't seem "indifferent" to me, you seem scared. Why should someone who is indifferent to life want to escape life? I don't say any of this to be insulting, but I don't think you're being honest with yourself or others here.

Finally, those of you who side more with Schopenhauer might want to check out the writings of Spinoza, Schelling, Hegel, Kant, Nietzsche, and Bergson - you'll find plenty concepts relative to Schopenhauer's realm, some more than others. If you're looking for a perspective that's completely different, try the other end of the spectrum with men like Hobbes, Descartes, Voltaire, Locke, Condillac, Condorcet, Comte, and Spencer.

7. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

:clap: :clap:

Exactly. One person's outlook on life doesn't encompass everyone else's quality of life.

Does this infer that it is impossible to accomplish goals? Those who are happy tend to have the ability to live in the moment. Every day matters. If someone gets their duties done, is fortunate, and seizes opportunities, for instance, they may have considered themselves to have had a good day. Therefore, they have found what they were seeking for. And it took one day, not a lifetime.

There is no point to life. Life is not a video game. We live in a complicated world that we don't understand. We mean very little in the scheme of things, but those who care about themselves are able to have fulfilling experiences.

I agree. I think you are looking for a reason to go through with your plans. Our minds are capable of deceiving us into thinking what we want to believe, and you have created an illusion for yourself. There is a difference between being bias towards ourselves and being an illusionist. If you have enough self admiration to stand being yourself and defend yourself, you have a bias towards yourself. But, once you define the world, and life in general by your personal standards, in this case your dissatisfaction for it, you are deceiving yourself and pulling yourself away from the truth.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2007
  8. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Dark deception kills the light...

- Metallica

9. dreamstar

dreamstar Active Member

To those who disagree with Deception's outlook, I think what he is trying to say, is that this life is ultimately pointless since its an ongoing struggle filled with neverending pain and then we all just die in the end. Like what was it all for? And why is everyone so hell bent on staying in this veil of tears when we're all just gonna die anyway. I think Deception is wanting something more than what this pain-filled and very short/fleeting life can offer us. I couldnt agree more and I think he makes perfect sense. But everyone has different outlooks/perspectives on things.

10. protonaut

That is precisely the problem. He's wanting more, instead of accepting what he has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.