Hawking: Humans should avoid contact with aliens

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Apr 26, 2010.

Do you think humans should make contact with aliens?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Unsure

4. There is no life besides us on Earth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Aliens almost certainly exist but humans should avoid making contact, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere.

But he warned that aliens might simply raid Earth for resources, then move on.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.

Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.

He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."

In the past, probes have been sent into space with engravings of human beings on board and diagrams showing the location of our planet.

Radio beams have been fired into space in the hope of reaching alien civilisations.

Prof Hawking said: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

The programme envisages numerous alien species including two-legged herbivores and yellow, lizard-like predators.

But Prof Hawking conceded most life elsewhere in the universe is likely to consist of simple microbes.

In the recent BBC series Wonders of the Solar System, Professor Brian Cox, a physicist from the University of Manchester, also suggested life may exist elsewhere within our solar system.

He said organisms could be present under the ice sheet that envelops Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.

Professor Cox added: "Closer to home, the evidence that life could exist on Mars is growing.

"We will only know for sure when the next generation of spacecraft, fine-tuned to search for life, are launched to the moons of Jupiter and the arid plains of Mars in the coming decades."

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If we hide forever, we as a species will never grow.
  3. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

lol its too late, theyve been here along time and they have deep roots in your life, wether you know about it or not.
  4. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Yes, we must grow, expand, and infiltrate other areas with the human virus.
  5. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

We'll never come in contact with them in the first place
  6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure.

On one hand, we could learn fascinating things, advancing our society by amounts that would take thousands of years to achieve otherwise, and on the the other, they could be violent and want to kill or conquer us. Although for that to happen, they would have to send a shitload of their members our way (or simply a few well-placed weapon attacks). It's a gamble, but I tend to think it's one worth taking, considering life on earth can end in thousands of different ways anyway.

Still, the chances of aliens intentionally finding us (or us finding them) and making contact are tiny.

On a side note, there is a chance that life on earth originated from an asteroid or asteroids from another planet, and we are aliens. I love this idea, because if it were true it confirms the exsistence of life on other planets, the ability of that life to come into contact with our planet, and makes ourselves a lot more interesting.

The Panspermia Hypothesis

Article on the subject
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  7. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Thats the thing though isn't it, we don't know what they are like, there could be creatures out there that are only at the level of something like a snail, without qualities like humans. It's true, they could be like us, looking to plunder resources, but then again, they could also be like us in the sense that, they could be looking for deeper understanding of life, even then, learning to communicate with another creature could take some time. I don't think we should just give up on space and expanding our knowledge because of the potential danger, just like with anything potentially dangerous, go with caution.
  8. Theseus

Theseus Well-Known Member

If you look at nature, you'll see that the strong exploit the weak. We lord over all other species on the planet. If more advanced alien life discovers us, there's no doubt they'll exploit us.
  9. shamps

shamps Well-Known Member

Its too late.......I am already here hehe.

Sorry am just trying to cheer myself up,well I seem to be completely "alien" to people I meet.

On a serious note,I think they have already been here and if they have they must be fairly advanced.If they are advanced what the hell do they need from us?

Is it not logical to think that they know we are in the process of destroying ourselves?We dont need any outside help,we can f**k everything up just fine on our own.There will be nothing left for them soon.

However if they do come back they are welcome to take me with them when they leave......................
  10. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

We will never make contact. The closest to the next solar system is light-years away. The distance to the next POSSIBLY habitable solar system is even longer. The only possible contact would be radio waves of some sorts, which would be, most likely, impossible to get any actual information from.

However, more on-topic-but-still-off-topic. Humanity moving away from other animals in the way which we did was a freak mutation. Hell, life itself starting, if it indeed did start on earth, was a highly improbable event, and it surviving, and thriving, is even more impropable. The fact we've yet to see anything even remotely close on our own planet, aswell, adds to the fact that, if for some reason we find any alien life, it'd most likely be simple. Single-celled organisms, MAYBE plants of some sort. Seeing anything that could be described an animal, or even intelligent... Hah.

However. Space is huge. Like... really, really, really huge. And the number of galaxies is huge, aswell. Millions upon billions of suns. And even more planets. I think it's pretty damn likely that there are aliens out there, but.. We're not gonna know. Well, if we survive for some billions of years, maybe.

If life was sci-fi, however, and we actually did come into physical contact (Which is not gonna happen), here's how it'd most likely go. Mine us for resources? Unless it's food or fuel, which they should be able to provide for themselves seeing as how they got this far, there are much better planets for it. Ones that have no life.

Aliens know of us>Aliens figure out if we're a threat>Aliens either wipe us out, or treat us like we treated the "savages" of the places we Europeans went to. Or just as we treat frogs.
    We know of aliens>We figure out if they're a threat>We either wipe them out, or treat them like we treated the "savages" of the places we Europeans went to. Or just as we treat frogs.
    Or they're actually more "evolved" and act like Buddhists with Jedi mind-powers. Or completely ignore us, for now-- If they could find us, they can find others.
  11. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

But isn't there a possibility of highly advanced life forms that can travel at the speed of light? Or does physics not allow that?
  12. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Sure, that's possible. But, again, it'd take years to get here. 20.3 ± 0.3 light years to Gliese 581 c. That means ~20.5 years of travel at the speed of light. That'd require energy. Lots of it. Then something to protect you from everything in between. Then something to eat, drink, and breathe, if it has life. Then you need to actually hit the planet, navigate away from things, and so on. Sure, in theory it's possible. But so is placing a bunch of uranium in a barrel, forgetting it, and opening it up to find the uranium changed to a solid gold statue of Buddha. Actually, that might be more likely.
  13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that the scientific community is taking a genuine interest in extra-terrestrial life, legitimizing what was long dismissed as science fiction (which remains the case to this day).
  14. xan

xan Chat Buddy

They'll most likely see us as a disease on the planet and wipe us out and replace us with something much more peaceful...
  15. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

16. yogurt

yogurt Active Member

Humans are far too curious. If contact ever becomes possible scientists will not be able to resist.
  17. alloutoftears

alloutoftears Account Closed

lets be honest, we aren't evolved enough to deserve extraterrestrial contact

we still live in a tribal and feudal society where technological advances come primarily through military research.

Take out the last 100 yrs of wars and we would still be travelling around on horses (if we were the wealthy classes), living till our late 40's and generally having a different kind of lifestyle.

Until we address the serious problems of inequality, ignorance, starvation, overpopulation and pointless religions we will always be one great event from living back in caves.

The only way aliens would want us is for food or pets, we would be like cattle to them.

Feel free to disagree
  18. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

He is smart and awesome.

I dunno though. Is it a good analogy to compare how Humans treat Humans to how encountering ET Life would go?

But I agree with alloutoftears on this. Humanity has a long way to go. If we cant even take care of our planet, when we DO have the technology and capabiligy, or stop war, ...........
  19. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Here is something I dont understand.

How can people say there is no life other than on earth?

do you realize that earth is one planet in one solar system orbiting one star, and there are millions and millions of stars in our one galaxy alone, and there are countless galaxies.

IMO, to say there is no life is just ridiculous. Just like saying there is no God.

Nobody knows
  20. yogurt

yogurt Active Member

Alien life doesn't have to mean intelligent beings.

What about alien bacteria? Should we study that if we ever come across some?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.