He Can Help (religious overtones)

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Godsdrummer, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I didnt go to bed last night or wake up this morning with the idea to post this thread.

Actually I was driving into work and it came to me. As clearly as anything.

I am not going to talk religion here, other than to say, that if you want your pain to end, if you want suicidal ideation to end, if you want to start living your life again,.....then there is a way.

He can help. He helped me, and can help you too.

If you want more info or would like me to help with this, please send me a pm.

2. History

History Well-Known Member

who is HE? 'the guy in the greatest story ever sold' book?

3. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Well let's see. I lost my family, made several attempts on my own life. Was a pathetic alcoholic who was only moments away from homelessness and death.

Now my family is reunited. I am playing drums again for the first time in 20 years! I still have a job, I still have means of transportation, and I have been sober for 8 months. So yeah, that guy.

And why would He help me? I am no different than anyone else. But He did. And I have a debt to repay. So I offer what I can.

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

He helps me a lot. I talk about it here a lot. I still feel suicidal at times. I am ill in my brain, it's not a matter of how I want things to be.

I take my meds, get my rest, turn to God, and I still have depression and suicidal ideation. I still have my diabetes too. These are real illnesses and don't go away just because we believe in God.

The biggest change I have when I turn to God is the direct comfort he gives me. The Holy Spirit starts a song in my mind to remind me he is with me and that helps me in the moment of things.

I have made life changes because of my belief and studying the Bible. These changes have changed my life for the better and have ridden me of some horrible stressors of the past.

For years I was able to work, raise kids, take care of the home and such even through I have depression. I don't know why but the day came when I cannot do much of anything anymore.

I don't blame God at all because I know why bad things happen to good people.

5. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My offer still stands.

6. Cortez

Cortez Banned Member

I am not a religious person, and am unsure if god exists, but when I am at my worst with depression or anxiety and I am feeling desperate I go to church and pray, or even if I'm not in church I'll pray, and things never seem to get that bad for me when I do. But I am still unsure about religion and god and all.

7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Why give credit to an unproven entity for something you did yourself?

IMO god didn't fix your problems, YOU did.

8. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am not going to get into a reglious debate here. Pretty sure that Management wouldnt want that anyway.

I couldnt stop drinking on my own. And there was no way I could have repaired my relationship with my wife, on my own.

Plus back when I was Freshman at high school, during a retreat, I felt the warm and hand of God, physically touch me.

I am a disciple. Nothing will ever shake my faith.

9. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

Some great points are being made here. There is incredible power in You. The limitations vary from person to person, but we don't begin to tap into the power within ourselves.

Tie that in to a belief in a Creator, and you increase your potential exponentially. Now, you have not only your increcible "YOU" power, but you have the unlimited access to the unlimited power of God.

Meditate on Him. There are thousands of books telling how to do that. Meditation will center you. If you don't yet have complete faith in God, meditate anyway. It will open your mind and heart to forces no one has ever seen but are very real. Caution: just opening your mind with no self-protection is risky because a lot of bad stuff is waiting for the chance to corrupt a mind. Open your mind but let it be known in the spiritual world you're entering that your mind is not open to harmful, deceitful powers.

10. jordaniac89

jordaniac89 Member

Religion is a crutch. It only helps you because you believe it helps you. Its nothing more than a placebo of sorts. It's wonderful to think that there is some almighty power that controls your destiny for you, "steers your ship" so to speak. If religion helps you, then wonderful. Unfortunately, its a completely illogical and irrelevant concept. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, just tring to be realistic.

11. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

Though I respect your decision and your beliefs. Hell we all have different ways and entities to cope with our problems. I'm glad God is your driving force in life and that through him you were able to shake off your problems. And I'm glad that you're able to spread the message as well and get more to see something that's there either in the mind or in your eyes.

For me, religion is something I won't dabble in, I have my own person, whether imaginary, perceived or real. It wouldn't really help you much if Satan was my answer to my problems and seeing through him helped me not do what I wanted to do.

12. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I think it's pretty unnecessary to go that far.

People are bound to get offended and in my experience will only believe it when they stop and figure it out for themselves.

Trying to argue against religion is a fairly pointless endeavor for reasons I'm not going to get into as I don't want to derail this thread further than has already been...

13. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

In my walk with God, I personally have been physically touched by His Holy Spirit on different occasions. I'm not a perfect person, nowhere near it, but I don't have to be to seek out God everyday.

The Bible says the proof of God is in the creation. That scripture is quoted in my signature from the Life Recovery Bible (for 12 step programs) that is the New Living Translation (NLT).

No human being can convert another. Only the Holy Spirit can do that. The Bible says that in 1John. People can only believe by hearing the word of God. The Bible says that too. Christians share the word of God so others can hear the word of God. That is when the Holy Spirit does his work. The hearer experiences feelings and either rejects the message or responds to it, even if the response is not to the Christian but rather a prayer to God such as, "God are you real?".

In the meantime, others observe Christians and their walk with God; and they hear their stories (testimonies). They either will or won't respond to the message at some point in their life.

14. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I think it's great that you've found something that works for you. :) But not everyone will agree it's for them, of course. I'm not a Christian but I'm able to appreciate that many people of all different religions feel that their relationship to their god is strong and has helped them through their troubles. I don't think it matters if you're Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, atheist etc., as long as you find peace of mind and are comfortable with yourself and not causing anyone else harm (or forcing your beliefs on them), that it's great. Whatever helps and is honest to you is the way to go. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.