Hearing things that aren't there

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Astronaut, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astronaut

Astronaut Member

so has anyone ever experienced this? What did you hear?
    I have often heard soft, disjointed piano music. Tonight I actually heard a whisper. Kinda scared, but I guess there's not much I can do 'cept keep takin meds

2. Roots

Roots Well-Known Member

I can hear music and voices in my head when I'm very tired. I can even decide what I want to hear (a certain song for example). My aunt has the same thing, but I don't know if it's unusual.

3. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I have heard a person talking in my room. Not always at me but it was quite loud and scared me. I actually got out of bed to try to find out if some one was in my room. I have also been hearing my name a lot. I think people are calling me but when i ask they tell me no.
    I just think its down to me not sleeping very well at the moment and stress at work.

4. Astronaut

Astronaut Member

Yeah stress will definatly do that. I'm just worried it's gonna go from music to full blown vioces and I don't think I can handle that :/

5. Roots

Roots Well-Known Member

Why do you hear these things? Is it because you're tired or is it something else that's causing it (if you have any idea)?

If it happens again, you can try to "play around" with it. Try to manipulate it, like tuning in a radio, choose what you want to hear. That's what I would do. It makes it kind of fun and less frightening. : )

6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I very often hear music in my head (I always assumed everyone did!) and when I'm having a bad day I hear voices too. The music can be very annoying when I'm in a lecture or trying to get uni work done and can't think because the music fills my head, and the voices can be quite scary, although I think I'm lucky because they don't tell me to do things, they're just there.

So you're not alone, I think this sort of thing is more common than we think.

Mim

7. berty

berty Member

i hear things that dont exist, i also see them too but they are psycotic!!!

8. Marmeladov

Marmeladov Active Member

I hear multiple voices talking together sometimes. One time, I swear one of the voices was Peter from Family Guy...

9. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I sometimes hear someone in my head telling me to do stuff. Occasionally i hear them outside as well like hearing people talking downstairs and i go down and no ones there. The other night i was trying to go to sleep when someone was like "morning" quite loud and then was like "is that eminem" (had just watched 8mile) that freaked me out as it was different than usual. I'm not even on meds for this, probably should tell my doc :unsure:

10. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

at night times when im half asleep i sometimes hear voices of people i know say my name and it always wakes me right up. doesnt happen often though ( real out loud voices not voices inside my head.. although they are in my head s: )

11. poison

poison Well-Known Member

i can hear music in my head very accurately and sometimes, parts of songs loop for no discernible reason. however, i should note that the music is distinctly inside my head and i'm not ever physically hearing it. i don't really ever hear voices, although i do talk to myself in my head. however, this is no more than simple intrapersonal communication.

stress and lack of sleep can bring about hallucinations and a lot of nasty symptoms. if you're feeling anxious and haven't slept in a while, drink some tea and lay down.

12. Akita

Akita Well-Known Member

I hear music in my head all the time non-stop. I don't even like music but I keep hearing it and I just can't get it to stop. There is also something that is somewhat like a voice but it is me, if that makes sense. It's only inside of my head, it's not like a real voice. It gets me to think of suicide when I'm not thinking about it.

13. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I hear one voice in particular that is in my head and I hear other people talking to me outside my head. It's gotten to the point that I see/hear them almost daily now. And whilst before I couldn't make out words, I can clearly hear what is being said. I hear my name being called alot but apparently no one had. Also I hear people talking just outside my room who sound angry all the time.
    The people are the ones that tell me to do stuff and they scare me. The voice in my head just talks at me and sometimes with me untill I stop myself replying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.