Hearing voices?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by ToLaughAgainSomeDay, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToLaughAgainSomeDay

ToLaughAgainSomeDay SF Supporter

Recently I have started a downward slide. The past few months have really been hard but the past few weeks especially. It's been one of those times where things start to stack up and it seems like I can't catch a break anywhere I turn. I've dealt with high stress levels, anxiety, and depression on and off for years, but this is the first time I have started hearing voices.

This weekend I took a "guys trip" to try to get out of my own head for a little while. Three nights ago, my friends and some others were sitting down to eat, when I started hearing a muffled noise like a large crowd far in the distance. There were quite a few people where we were, but as I looked around, nothing seemed to match up to what I was hearing. I wrote that one off.

Saturday night, I went to a bar in the area to watch a football game (I don't drink). As I was leaving the bar, I heard the noise again. It was fairly late at night and in a very small town, so there were not many people out. I looked around and the only thing I saw were two middle-aged women sitting on the sidewalk. One was crying, but neither was speaking. The bar had a loud band playing that night so I figured my ears were still ringing from that.

I got back to the place we were staying. I stayed up and talked with some of the guys for a little while before heading to bed. I got into the bedroom and changed, and I heard the unmistakable sound of people talking. It sounded like commentary on a TV that was on it's lowest volume. I thought I might have left my iPod on, but i realized it was still locked in my vehicle. I'm not going to go into extreme detail about the place we were staying, but the way it was laid out, there was no way I could've heard the people outside of the room I was staying in.

The next day, I was packing up the vehicle to leave when I heard it again. Muffled crowd noise or TV commentary or whatever you want to call it. There were definitely multiple people talking, but I couldn't pick out anything specific. The final time was on the way home at a restaurant. There were maybe 6 total people in the restaurant, and as I looked around I could see none of them were talking much if at all, but I still hear the voices.

They don't seem like they are trying to tell me to do anything or have a conversation with me. It's just background noise, but it is most definitely people talking. I told a close friend about them and that I wanted to listen closer to try to figure out what they were saying, but she advised against that, thinking it could be dangerous to "buy into it".

I'm a little freaked out, but not scared since they don't seem to be directing me to do anything. This is just something I have never experienced before. My friend seems to think it's a stress related coping mechanism, but like I said, I have suffered for a long time and never had this happen. Could I have just gone over the edge this time? Has anyone experienced voices like this?
  2. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Suicide Forum, I hope things are going alright for you To Laugh Again Some Day, I guess I am going to ask first do you have any other medical conditions like for emotional or mental issues? I have to say I have a few, mostly depression so I do
    have a little experience with some other conditions, very little but i do have some, no where near an expert.

I live in a log cabin In the woods I do not have air conditioning or anything like that, I use fans summer and winter, I burn wood
    my fans are running a lot I have one going at night as well I use it for the white noise, It is at the head of my bed. i have noticed over the last few years that the sounds of the fans vary, at times with sometimes several running I have heard what sounds like voices people talking, I have thought I hear music as well, very low and unintelligible, I use to become alarmed I thought the fans were somehow transmitting possibly a radio station, while it may somehow be possible, I am not going to follow it up, it has in no way been perceived as a threat by me, so it might br actual voices or it just may be a certain noise that fans are capable of making under certain conditions.

With that all said, I will admit it may be possible that you are hearing voices, you may have a medical condition like with your ears, some ppl have fillings in their teeth that have picked up "Supposedly" radio transmissions or noises of different frequencies,
    Do any of these fit what you might be hearing, I have no idea, If things get worse then I would see a Dr. you could see one now
    have your hearing checked if you are concerned! I would wait around here and see if anyone else responds, Whatever the answer, you are welcome here, I believe that you will be and can feel safe in here, listen to what some others have to say, it might bring you some relief at the least, In any case take care of yourself, Have a good day! Take care of yourself!
  3. ToLaughAgainSomeDay

ToLaughAgainSomeDay SF Supporter

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any fillings so I know it's not that. And it's possible I could be interpreting other noises as voices, but since I heard them in such a wide variety of locations and situations, but the voices sounded nearly the same each time, I don't really know how that is possible. Personally I have yet to see a doctor about my depression and anxiety, although I think I am going to go this week. It has been so much worse than ever before. My family has a history of Manic Depressive Disorder. Since this came on so suddenly and I have never experienced it before, I don't think it could be a hearing condition, either. I've never had any hearing problems and I don't think the voices would be so sporadic if that was the case.

Thank you for the welcome. It was a blessing to find this place because I am lost down a very dark road right now. SF has already helped tremendously.
  4. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

I am glad that you have found it, it is a great Blessing to many, I feel comfortable here and safe as well, I hope that you can get a satisfactory explanation for these, I agree that if it were happening to me I would feel the same way! If there is anything else I am here a lot, I am sure that you can get some help from almost anyone in here I hope that you do get some positive feedback I am sorry that your road is dark, it may be possible to have some light put on it from here, I wish you the best Thank YOU! Take care of yourself, try to slow down a bit, take things easy for a while get exercise an eat healthy foods! is the best way to care for yourself!
  5. jerseyguy77

jerseyguy77 New Member

I have experienced hearing voices through background noise such as fans, white noise from my tv, running water, there was a time I could hear it through the wind, it usually has to be a steady background noise . It started for me about a year ago, got really bad for a few months but has been getting better recently. I have my ideas about the cause, but I can definately say, don't try and focus on it, tune it out as best as you can, if you focus on it it'll just get worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.