Heart pains when not eating

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Ok so the Wednesday before last I started to have some really bad heart pains.I had been not eating since the saturday and would consume maybe 200 cals a day.I continued this process of eating until the Saturday and conincidentally that is the day the heart pains stopped.
    They wernt like indigestion or anything, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what it might be?
    They came in waves and each pain got worse as it got nearer to my heart.The pains moved upwards from my breast and felt like a kind of squeezing.Then when in the centre of my heart it would start stabbing and then the pain would suddenly go.And this happened about every ten minutes from the Wednesday to the Saturday.As it progressed it got so bad that I would often be doubled over in pain.
    Does anyone have any idea what these pains were?It seems to me that they might have been connected with my self starvation.
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

You need to tell this to a doctor. It sounds a heart attack.
    You need to ask for an ECG ASAP.
    Yes, if you're not eating this can happen.

If you're depleted in electroytes this can happen. It can also happen if you have damaged your heart through your eating disorder.
  3. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

Hon..Please see a Dr..

I work with cardiac patients (In addition to being a long term ED sufferer) and know that a side effect of starving is electrolyte imbalances that can cause all sorts of cardiac arrhythmias..

The human body needs certain compounds to keep the heart working..Potassium is one the main ones and whilst starving the bodies chemistry becomes deranged..

Please see someone hon..Even if only for an ECG and a set of standard bloods...They cannot harm you and they will only know what you tell them..

4. anarulesmenow

I asked my mum but she won't book an appointment and I'm on holiday for ages now so I won't be able to go for a few weeks.Is it that urgent?
    What's an ecg by the way?
  5. anarulesmenow

I didn't tell my mum I wasn't eating though, which may be why she didn't take it seriously.But I don't want to tell her about my eating problems
  6. SweetVitriol

An ECG is an electro cardiogram..It measures the electrical activity across your heart from several directions and as you need that electrical conductivity to make your heart muscles contract (And make your heart beat) it is a way of seeing what your heart is up to..It's painless, just involves stickers on your chest and being hooked up to a machine for a minute..

As I said, just get a set of bloods (Renal function and electrolytes should do it) and an ECG to be safe..Don't fear hon..You do not need to tell them much, just please...get the tests and be safe..

Let me know if I can help any more..x
  7. Dana..

Dana.. Well-Known Member

You really should see a doctor about that.
    there might be something really wrong.
  8. anarulesmenow

Ok then
    But its been 3 weeks since the pains, would an ecg still work?
  9. SweetVitriol

Hi hon..Yeah, an ECG would work as any damage done to the cardiac tissue results in changes to the way it conducts electricity..So an ECG would still show if you have any damage there..

Try not to be too afraid of the Dr's..They cannot harm you nor section you..Just get the checks done and find out the answers before the pains return..

As always, I am only a message away hon. x
  10. anarulesmenow

Ok thanks
    Well I asked my mum and I said that it had been recommended I had an Ecg but she just said I would be wasting the doctors time.She also said that because I had had one in April(from a suicide attempt) that I shouldn't need one now, even though these pains were after then...
    Can I go and get one on my own or would I need an adult as I am 15?
  11. SweetVitriol

Hon you would not be wasting any Dr's time by getting an ECG..At the very least you would be excluding the possibility of having had a cardiac injury..

You do not specify where you are...In the UK you could see a Dr and if you explained the pains and maybe said that you hadn't been eating (Not quite confessing to being a friend of Ana) then they would assist regardless of your age..However I am unsure of the situation in the USA or Canada..

Whatever the hassle, please get it checked..I know it is scary to expose you hidden vice..Gaia I know..But please do hon...Before they return and you seriously damage your precious heart..
  12. anarulesmenow

Ok thanks, im from the uk so thats good.
    I dunno if I could go on my own but I have a friend who knows about this stuff and would probably go with me.
    One of the replys mentioned that it could have been a heart attack, do you really think do?
    I dont know much about this sort of thing tbh
  13. SweetVitriol

Hi hon..I honestly do not believe that it was an MI (Heart attack) unless you had residual problems (short of breath, chest pains or muscle weakness) following the initial onset of pain..though it is not unheard for young ana's to have MI's because of the variations in electrolytes due to starvation, dehydration and vomiting/laxatives but very rarely at your age (Think mid-late twenties at the earliest)
    The only sure fire way to know is to go to the Dr and if they are any good, they will ECG you just to exclude it..

It is possible that you just had a muscle pull or even a small angina attack due to all the strain you put on your body..

Hope that helps...try not to panic..We do so many things to our body in the name of our mistress (AnaMia) but the body is strong even when our spirit is weak..

Peaceful thoughts hon.
  14. anarulesmenow

Ok thanks
    Yeah I didn't think it could be as it lasted for so long and because of my age etc
  15. anarulesmenow

i dont think i can get one on my own so i need a parent but what should i say?Sorry to go on about all this, i just dont think they understand.I attempted a few months ago but they dont believe I meant it and I cant understand that.
  16. anarulesmenow

the pains came back today
  17. Theory

Theory Well-Known Member

tell your mother. see a doctor i am sure she doesn't want to lose you. Just tell her please ! for your ownn good hun! :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.