Heights

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Cowburn, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowburn

Cowburn Well-Known Member

Anyone know some good ways to ease off a fear of heights?

Matt

2. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

There are many ways that you can get over a fear seeing a psychologist is one of them...but am wondering why you want to get over that fear and why you have posted in the suicide forum about it ??
    You may have that fear for good reason because its frightens you that you wont do anything to hurt yourself because you have that fear
    i hope that you are safe and that you can talk to someone if you are feeling suicidal
    here if you need to talk more
    Ella

3. Cowburn

It's not so much a fear of hurting myself but It's a 530ft drop which is pretty damn high. I think It's human instinct at that height to be wary of going to the edge no matter my intentions.

4. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

do you want to talk about how you are feeling and what has gotten you to be standing near the edge.. has something happened ?
    I lost my dad in September he jumped from a bridge i dont know how high up it was but it killed him and we where left in shock for a long time after ...do you have family ? is there anyone you trust that you can talk to about this or anyone that you can call?
    Whatever is going on for you i hope that you can reach out to some one and get the help you need...
    Ella

5. twing

twing Active Member

please tell us what is troubling you

6. windlepoons

windlepoons Well-Known Member

Cowburn this is a hard time of year for a lot of people.
    Please talk to us about why you feel this is the only way forward?

7. Severijn

Severijn Well-Known Member

I think they use CBT therapy for these fears.

Learning to think differently is one part, and then slowly and gradually exposing yourself to the thing you fear is an other step.

But honestly, I also have some fear of heights and I think it's pretty natural. I can't be bothered to do something about it. But if it's interfering with other parts of your life perhaps it's an good idea to seek help/therapy for it.

8. Cowburn

It's not just this time of the year, It's all the time.

This is the only way forward because only I know what I'm capable of, and that's nothing.

And no, I don't have anyone to talk to. Even if I did my SA would stop me from doing so.

9. windlepoons

I have SA too Cowburn, I understand how you feel. Have you had help?

The book Overcoming Social Anxiety & Shyness by Gillian Butler changed my life, but there is no quick fix but you can get better and find interaction easier. You need to give yourself the time to read and implement it.

10. Cowburn

I've had CBT which didn't work and I've been on max doses of Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine and now Citalopram.

I got that book from the library but found it didn't help. Self help books just make me feel more worthless and depressed.

11. windlepoons

Sorry to hear that. How long did you try CBT for? It took months to make a difference in my case but I had nothing else to try.

12. Cowburn

The max amount of sessions the NHS would give, I didn't quit it. I was ditched at the end of it with no further help, nothing. Guess that's always how it works for me though.

13. windlepoons

Can you continue using the sheets? Did you use sheets - I was given 'identifying negative thoughts' and 'Challenging negative thoughts'.

14. Cowburn

Never found the sheets any use, I struggle to write my thoughts out and I end up just feeling like a complete tit.

I don't need consoling, I know what I have to do I am just afraid my body will stall when I am near the edge but my mind is 100% clear.

15. windlepoons

Have you tried group therapy, or a forum specifically for SA sufferers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.