Hello all, am seeking support for a friend.

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by littlebluegiraffe, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlebluegiraffe

littlebluegiraffe New Member

Hi.
    Would like to introduce myself. Am 38 year old married mum of one. Have had depression in the past but am much better now and enjoying life. I am a teacher and have a friend who is very depressed and lonely. Last night she thought about taking an overdose. I happened to text her and she was able to talk to me about how she felt. She text this morning to say that I was the only thing keeping her alive. She has had the worst year I can imagine and needs some serious help.
    A few years ago, another friend killed himself. He felt he had no-one to turn to. I would have been there for him, if only I had known how bad things were. I will never get over the guilt.
    Really, what I am asking for is for support and advice as to how I can best help my friend, and a listening ear for myself.
    Any advice would be very welcome.
    Thanks

2. NiceGuYKC

NiceGuYKC Well-Known Member

Welcome to these forums.
    Stick around, because this place is full of good people.
    I'm sure you'll get great advice from them.

I hope your friend gets better soon.
    She's very lucky to have a friend like you.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, and welcome to the forums! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost one friend to suicide, but I'm glad your other friend connected with you last night. The friend that talked to you is a very lucky person to have a good friend like you in her life. Do you know if she has gone to her doctor or a therapist? Maybe she's nervous about doing that and perhaps you could encourage her to try it.

I understand you feel guilty about the other friend. You also said that had you known, you'd have been there for him. You have NOTHING to feel guilty about. :hug: If a person suicides, the choice is theirs and theirs alone. :(

Anyway, I'm glad to see you here and hope to see more posts from you. Remember to take care of yourself, not just your friend. :)

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree you should talk to your friend and see if you can get her to go to therapy.. You can go with her if shes nervous about going..You are a good friend indeed..

5. littlebluegiraffe

littlebluegiraffe New Member

Thanks all. Have spoken to my friend over the last couple of days and she is a lot calmer now. Still resisting seeing a Dr, but I can understand that as I didn't seek help for a long time. Will continue to encourage her though.

6. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

You are a good friend

7. Constantinos

Constantinos Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forums,

Did you friend tell you some details what caused her to be depressed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.