Hello everyone, new member

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Brian777, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi everyone, my name is Brian and I came across this forum the other night. I had to join it as it seems like a safe place to share without judgement. I've suffered from depression, anxiety disorder and panic attacks all my life. My Mom passed away about 6mnths ago and the stress from this has increased my symptoms worse than ever. She was my last relative in this country so I guess besides grief her passing left me feeling very alone. It's good to have a place to come to where others are struggling too.
    Thank you
    Brian

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Brian sorry for the loss of your mother not so long ago may she RIP I hope that you are able to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling and maybe also get some help to get through such a loss and the feeling of isolation. You won't feel so alone now i hope being able to talk here

Brian777 likes this.
  3. Brian777

Thank you total eclipse, I have spoken with my doctor and I'm waiting on a referral to a psychiatrist/psychologist for some counselling. I appreciate this forum and the people here. It makes me feel not so alone. I've been reading through the posts and so many people are suffering these days, so I hope to be able to contribute help and encouragement too.
    Brian

total eclipse likes this.
  4. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

You sound a lot like me with the depression and anxiety. I've gotten REALLY down before and I know how hopeless it feels. But each day we get through is a win. What has helped me with my depression and anxiety is stuff like music, driving around, comedy , writing and especially helping others. I give to my local food closet as often as I can. Exercise such as walking can also help a lot. Far as your loss, my dad died January 9. It left me feeling hollow inside but I got through it and you will too. What helped me is remembering in Hands when Jewel sings "I won't be made useless, won't be idle with despair" I did anything I could to feel useful including picking up trash on the side of the road. There is always hope and you WILL get through this. You are NOT alone. :) Feel free to PM me anytime.

total eclipse likes this.
  5. Brian777

Thank you so much for your response and suggestions Adam and yes you do know how I feel. I guess the biggest challenge for me is that with the increase in panic attacks, I was getting afraid to leave the house. But I'm forcing myself to get out even if it's only to the park with my dog. I had a panic attack awhile back while grocery shopping and had to leave the store. I know is just anxiety but it's pretty scary and embarrassing when it happens. Before my Mom passed I was planning to take my dog to hospitals, rest homes etc as a therapy dog, so hopefully I can get back on track with that.
    You're so right that helping others is the way out of ourselves, and there's so many people suffering much worse than I am. Great to meet you Adam and again thank you.
    Brian
    Ps......I'm So sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad, may he rip, it's hard to lose a parent.

total eclipse and AdamTide like this.
  6. AdamTide

You're very welcome and thank you for the kind words. :) Helps a lot. I'm sorry you get scared to go places. Just try to tell yourself that there's nothing to fear. Adam Duritz sings "living in fear of some imaginary consequence " and maybe you can look at it like even though you're scared it's really just the chemicals in your brain causing you to feel like that. A couple good songs that can comfort you is Rockabye by Shawn Mullins in which he sings "everything's gonna be alright " and Breathe by Anna Nalick where she sings "cradle your head in your hands and just breathe " Everything will work out ok for you. I'm here if you need me. "I'll be here I will be your friend. "-Darius Rucker

Brian777 likes this.
  7. Brian777

So very true Adam and I love music, I'll check out those suggestions on YouTube.

AdamTide likes this.
  8. AdamTide

:)

Brian777 likes this.
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Brian @Brian777 I am glad you decidd to join. You are right,no one will judge you here. I am so sorry for your loss and just know we are here for you. Day or night we're here and we care. I hope you find SF as supportive as I do:)

Brian777 likes this.
  10. Brian777

Thank you Petal, I'm sure I will. I've already been reading the articles and going through the postings. There's a lot of caring people here and I already feel comfortable.

11. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

welcome, again Brian. I'm happy you found this place.

I am sorry to hear how you suffer though, and I'm sorry for your loss.
    Don't hesitate to use the forum and the chat! My inbox is always open as well

Brian777 likes this.
  12. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Hey Brian, I'm really sorry for the loss of your mother. I'm glad you joined the site; I hope we can help by offering you support and a safe place.

AdamTide and Brian777 like this.
  13. Brian777

Thank you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.