Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by RetroJoe, Jul 1, 2016.

1. RetroJoe

RetroJoe Member

Hi everyone! My name is Joe and I'm the new guy. I've dealt with clinical depression and bipolar disorder since I was a teen back in the 80's. Back then, mental illness was just getting some traction as a plausible illness. I suffered with depression all through high school, college and my first marriage without any help. It was horrible and I truly believe that my life would be so much better had I gotten the help I needed back in high school. Still though, it was mostly looked at as someone being lazy and/or weak. I'm surprised at how many people still think that way though. Its kinda like Diabetes: people that don't have to manage it for themselves 24/7 have all of the answers to treat it while people stricken with it know better.

Anyway, I'm 46 years old, 6'3" with a size 13 shoe. Blonde hair blue-eyed Scotch-Irishman descended from Norwegian blood. Lets just say that I don't tan well.....LOL. I love cycling but have been bench for almost a year due to heart problems caused by a viral infection about 5 years ago. I just had a pacemaker/defibrillator install on June 10 and am going through cardiac rehab right now. I've been cleared to ride my bike again but have to keep my rides down to only a few miles at a time for right now. I should be able to get back into my 100+ mile regimen with in the next 90-120 days.

[​IMG]
    My Bike: She's a 1996 Cannondale Killer V500. She had sat on the showroom for 2 years before we found each other. Her name is Val and she's rock solid and tough as nails. I've upgraded the front shock and use Michelin City tires for my 30+ mile rides and use WTB Velociraptors when I hit the trails. She's A #1.

I've got quite a long story. Heck, I haven't even put it all together yet but while I'm taking Zoloft and Depakote, I'm not getting any counselling. I know I need to find a way to make it happen but that's another thing altogether. If anyone wants to talk or know more about me, please don't hesitate to catch me in the chat room or send a message through my inbox.

Thanks a bazillion!
    RetroJoe

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience. I hope others take you up on your offer and you become an active member of the community and forum.

RetroJoe likes this.
  3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Welcome to the forum.

RetroJoe likes this.
  4. iServe

iServe Member

Hey RetroJoe, thanks for sharing your story. I need to get some cardio in myself. I've cut running out of my diet, although I love to run. My hips are the problem. I have a passion for swimming but I live in the midwest and the pools close after the summer. I'm glad to hear that you're back on your bike. Keep it up and continue to surround yourself with wins! Have a great 4th of July weekend. Take care!

RetroJoe likes this.