Hello, joined a year ago

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by weevil, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weevil

weevil Well-Known Member

I joined this group last year, I was definitely at a crisis point at the time and felt it helpful to read about peoples failed attempts and their regrets of it. I was mostly afraid of my attempt not working and being left in a much worse position than before.

Possibly not the ideal way to convince someone not to try, as it didn't make me not want to die, just made be believe that I would fail at it and that would be worse. But anything that stops you must be good right?

I'm not at a crisis point now, though I am in my down phase and that has hit a new (hopefully temporary?) slump recently. I'm more afraid of going out and interacting with people than usual (my main problem is anxiety) and this is making me feel pretty low.

I'm kinda here though because I thought it might help to talk about the subject or at least find people that think as I do. My counseller always points out to me that I circle "thinking about hurting myself or that I would be better off dead more than half the time" even when I seem more positive. I feel that the feeling of prefering to be dead will always be with me no matter what, I don't see it as a massively serious thing, I'm used to it. I've never been afraid to die. I just think I've got so used to thinking this way it will never go. It feels like a non issue to me yet freaks out so many people that I think it must be an issue I don't see.

Does that make sense?

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :)

Whatever helps someone to reassess is a good thing.

That does make sense. I had a therapist previously who told me that people have different thought process. I constantly mentally hang myself, pretty much anywhere and everywhere, and she said that because it was not distressing to me, maybe its normal for me and ok. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, just a thing that I do. Maybe the same applies to you, with regards to death. However, that doesn't mean it won't go if you work hard to change your thought processes. I guess maybe it depends on the circumstances and why you think about death and hurting yourself so much.

Do you find your counsellor useful to you?

I hope SF can help you,

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey welcome back anxiety is hard but can be dealt with through therapy and medication I hope just talking in here helps reaching out to people who truly understands and care

4. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Welcome to the forums!

I agree with Scum that assessment is a good thing.

Many people find us out of sorts when it comes to thinking about suicide daily. It concerns them. And sometimes I find it hard to understand why people think that way.

Anyway, rant and rave to us! It'll be helpful to you.

5. weevil

weevil Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how useful I find having a counseller, there's probably nothing big I can think of, only small things. Mostly it helps that there is someone I can say these things to as I don't really have many other options. It was also very valuable having someone else agree with me that I needed to move out of my previous house as nobody was agreeing with me on that. When I was a lot worse before xmas and in the previous house counselling was the only thing I was making it outside for, I might have ended up in a worse position without it.

I'm not sure how much it's helping right now though, maybe because I've hit a slump I feel that way but I feel like I'm wasting her time. Yesterday I felt totally unwilling to go along with anything she was saying.

Thanks for the welcome.

6. butterflies32

butterflies32 Well-Known Member

welcome back to SF.

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Hi weevil. I remember you from before. I am glad to hear you are no longer in a crises situation but still feel free to seek help as you need it. Welcome back. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.