Hello World

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Muffinman33, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Muffinman33

Muffinman33 Member

My name is muffinman and I am here because of depression, bi-polar disorder, and possibly schizo affective disorder (the doctors didn't really know which one I had, but that it seemed like I was showing signs of schizo affective).

I don't really have a rant or anything to vent about right now, but thank goodness for forums like this.

2. Dikta

Dikta Autistic.

I hope your doctors will figure out whether you have schizo affective disorder too or not.
    That's good and yeah, it's nice that there's forums like this one.
    Muffinman33 likes this.
  3. Muffinman33

Muffinman33 Member

When I was in the hospital, they came up with those diagnoses. I took a 301 question test and two others and was interviewed. They said they saw signs of bi-polar, but that I tend to lean towards the depressed side. They also said that I could have schizo affective, but they didn't elaborate. They put me on meds to treat the symptoms. Also, it sucks because insurance-wise, I'm COBRA'ing as long as I can.

Once my COBRA runs out, I guess I'll have to look into other means of getting insurance.

This is definitely not ideal, and thus the depression and sadness. Its a vicious cycle, but I think its important to keep looking forward and see the silver lining in situations.
  4. Dikta

Dikta Autistic.

I see. And can imagine it does, although I'm not sure what COBRA is.. Sorry, just never heard of it in Denmark, at least not with that name.

But I can see how it's not ideal and understand why you're sad and depressed, but I'm glad you keep looking forward, since it'll get better!
    But isn't it something you can get with a job, if you find one? The insurance that is.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums. I hope the doctors can diagnose you soon. No idea what cobra means, want to to elaborate? I am guessing it is some form of insurance? Please let us know what your future looks like in your mind?, I am sorry you are having such a terrible time. We are here to help you through this very difficult time.
  6. Muffinman33

Muffinman33 Member

Oh, I apologize for not being sensitive to people from other countries. COBRA is when you leave a company or are let go you are able to get insurance through that employer for a fee for up to 18 months. So, I have insurance for 18 months as long as I can pay during that time. After that point, I will have to find insurance or some other means of paying for my medical care.
  7. Dikta

Dikta Autistic.

It's okay. But I see, think it's here too, just under another name.
    But well at least you have 18 months to figure out what to do as insurance afterwards? I at least hope you figure something out with insurance or another form of payment to your medical care.
    But I sadly don't know much about insurance or how it is in the way of diagnosis though, since I do not have it myself.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Sorry that ur out of a job. Cobra isn't cheap either. It was like 600 bucks from my company ive not had to use it

Good luck finding out what to do next
  9. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Welcome to the forum. :) I had something similar to Cobra, but it was just through the workman's compensation board here. While I was under the doctor's care, my employers were not allowed to fire me because of that and I was allowed to keep my medical insurance for...I don't even remember how long, less than a year I think. I'm glad you have that, and 18 months is a good amount of time. I hope you find comfort here because everyone here is so supportive and kind.
    Muffinman33 likes this.