Hello

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Farandaway674, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farandaway674

Farandaway674 Member

Hi not really sure what to say, so a little about myself I am 26 and live in the east coast of the US. I have been struggling with suicidal feelings all my life, my childhood was very lonely as has been adult life. I don't think I ever made a real connection with anyone ever. I am currently in school studying international relations (MA) and while I do love it, I am petrified of the future. I am severely overweight, probably have an overeating disorder (but never been diagnosed), I am trying really hard to make life changes, including one of those weight loss surgery's, particularly its called a LAP Band, I hope to get it in December. My family is small but supportive which is nice but I have real trust and anger issues with them. Also I have had extensive therapy which helped but constant therapy for like 15 years have left me tired of it. I have medication that seems to work but still struggle with suicidal thoughts, although not nearly as much as I did when I was younger.

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi. good to meet you. I am a 62 year old woman. I am glad you found this community. I do think its usually a very supportive one. I too have struggled with weight issues in the past. And food issues always. I do have an eating disorder. So many people do. And it is usually quite painful. It sounds like you are successful in school.

I hope you will make this your community. A place where you can come and talk about how you feel. How things are going. Talk about the suicidal feelings when they come up. So you are not living alone with them. The good thing is that no one here does therapy :) Which I can understand you being tired of. Perhaps at a certain point you will want to resume that. But for now, online forums such as this one can be great.

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you choose to join us. This disease can make someone feel so alone, but you don't have to be. You have found a community filled with members that do understand and can offer support and maybe a little advice about how they core. Take care and stay safe. :hug:

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Hello Farandaway674 and welcome. It is good that you have reached out to the community here. Peer support is powerful. It is no different than a group of guys who get together to talk about their favorite cars, or about their favorite music band, etc. Sharing and networking/talking with others who share similar interests or SITUATIONS and feelings is good stuff. I wanted to comment positively to you about the surgery you are planning. Me personally, gives me the willies... I would have in the past thought, "No way to that, it's crazy!," but I would have been wrong. Case in point is that I know a woman who had issues with her weight and she had this surgery that you refer to. Within a very short period of time she went through a complete metamorphosis and she no longer has any issue or concern over weight. In fact, sometimes I think she needs to gain a few pounds. :) My reason for bringing this up and sharing what I have actually witnessed is to let you know that my experience is that it does indeed work... and it works well. Now I'm not doctor and there may be adverse things that come from or accompany such a thing, but I have a feeling that in the past she had self issues as a result of her weight and today, she has none. She's out there, you know what I mean? It did her well and I hope that if that is something that you need to help move toward wellness, that it does you well also. You are in school and studying, so you have a bright potential for a future. Keep working on the things that will lead you there and keep those negative suicidal thoughts at bay. Tomorrow can be better than yesterday, or today.

Again, good to have you join us here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.