Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Beatrice, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatrice

Beatrice New Member

I'm a little averse to giving out my real name, so please refer to me as Beatrice. I'm a nineteen-year-old college student, and I have been battling depression since my adolescence. Lately, it is getting harder to live. I hope that by joining these forums, I might be able to gain a support system... and perhaps it is not the best place, but to build friendships as well.

I'm very shy. I have a hard time reaching out to people in real life, so I am virtually friendless (most of my friendships are on the Internet.) Ironically enough, I am a psychology student with a long-term goal of helping people overcome social phobias and social anxieties. It has been something I have wanted to pursue for a long time.

In my free time, I play video games, watch anime, read manga... but it gets lonely doing such mundane activities by yourself day after day.

Regardless, it's very nice to meet everyone, and I hope that we can get along well...
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. You joined a forum that will help and support you. Keep posting support and care. Good luck with your career.
  3. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Well Hi Beatrice, You don't have to give out your real name, so that's cool. I too welcome you to SF and hope that you can find help here and yes, I believe friends too. I am Leigh and I have been coming here just over 2 weeks. I too have some issues and am dealing with depression as well. I hope that you will find this is a safe place to come and meet with others and hopefully to find some help with your issues, go at your own pace. I have not had problems with anyone here and don't anticipate any. I wish you the best.
  4. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

Welcome to the forum, Beatrice, you will find great support here. This place has saved my sanity...I was hospitalized for suicide attempts and depression a few months ago, and after my last stay in the hospital I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it out in the world all alone. But thankfully I found this place and suddenly I feel I'm among my own kind and life is so much more bearable. Come into the chat room sometime, it's a wonderful place to talk to people in real time.

5. johnsm

johnsm Member

hello Beatrice, I have had depression for quite a long time as well. it must be lonely being shy like you say, depression knows no bounds anyone can be struck down with it, in your case being shy as well is a double battle for you, as well as other social phobias, its hard going for you, I will be your friend on here , I am married have children aged 63 seen and done a lot in my life, been with my wife for 33 years so I am not looking for a younger model lol , just some friendship with someone who I can talk and not just speak. I don't take e-mails but you an PM me on here if you need to talk

6. nararabbit

nararabbit Active Member

Hi Beatrice! You and I have very similar interests. I have been battling manic depression (now known as bipolar) since I was a child. My first suicide attempt was when I was 5 years old! So I am right there with you. Today is my first day back at work after two weeks off after I was hospitalized for 4 days for a suicide attempt. Please feel free to talk to me if you start feeling down. ((hugs)) I am a very social, chatty person ironically, after overcoming shyness in my teens. Perhaps I could help you with that too! I am 31.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome Beatrice! I am very shy too (yes some may find that hard to believe lol) but you can be yourself on here and open up to us! Glad you joined and hope you can get the support you need! :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.