Help! Feeling really depressed

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by jegsu34, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jegsu34

jegsu34 Member

I feel really depressed, I want to hurt myself and not just cutting, like I have done in the past. I want to do something that will really do some damage.
    How can I ask my family for help when they don't even understand what is going on. My life is just one big disaster. I don't work but I do have my nieces at times and it is getting to be a challenge to watch them.
    I have had thoughts of suicide because I do not want to deal with my depression. I don't know what to do, however I do know I want to stay out of the hospital.

2. zeroloss

zeroloss Member

Hey jegsu,

how long have you been having these feelings of being depressive? If your depressions started quite recently (a few months) the best thing you could do is, going to a therapist and reporting him what your issues are. It probably will get worse if you let time pass by. Visiting a therapist does not mean that you will get hospitalized or something. You should let one take a look at it, it can help you! I don't really know your story but if you're ready to tell a little bit, I can try to help you more, though. Have you ever talked to somebody in your family? I'm pretty sure they will understand how dangerous your situation is and try to help.

3. jegsu34

jegsu34 Member

I have an appointment with my therapist on Tuesday but I did talk to her. And as for my family I have tried talking and they think depression is like a cold, it will just go away.

4. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

they do not know how to deal with someone being depressed. you could try finding other networks (here being one of them) of trust and update them on your progress
    unless you particularly care that they should be more supportive, make a bigger deal and ask for their advice on problems you're having that are causing this depression.

5. iwanttohelp

iwanttohelp Well-Known Member

You are in pain and you need a way to relieve suffering. You think harming yourself will bring you relief, but it won't, it will bring more suffering.

So the thing to do is to find ways to cope that will actually relieve the suffering. Actions you can take that will actually work. Harming yourself does not work.

Once of the best thing I personally use is to write out my feelings of hurt and pain with pen and paper until I start to cry. Then I cry and cry until I can't anymore. This always feels better because tears are a chemical mood lifter.

Google "Our Pathway Home - Tool #2: The Path of Tears" to see where I learned about the crying method to relieve pain.

Then Google "ways to relieve depression" and there are well over 100 healthy things you can do that will actually bring you relief. Experiment with them all as a substitution for harming yourself.

I believe that if you actually take the effort to try new ways to cope, and you do this a little each day, and you never give up... you will look back on this period of your life as a time of using your pain to learn to grow, change and evolve into a better feeling place. You can do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.