HELP! Friend Considering Suicide!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by MaidenFan, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaidenFan

MaidenFan Member

I've been talking to a friend on aim recently and he's in really bad shape. He was misdiagnosed with a mental illness and put on drugs several years ago. Now that he's off the drugs he's convinced that they fucked up his brain(and they probably have). He's totally lost his way in life. He's considering suicide. I haven't been really close with him in the past, and he moved about a year ago so I haven't really seen him or talked to him at all until recently. Regardless, I'm deeply worried about him, because he's a great person and his social life has deteriorated to the point where I may be the only peer that can help him.

I know he doesn't truly want to kill himself because he keeps talking to me on aim. I don't bring up any of his issues just chat normally about sports or whatever, and he'll voluntarily bring up his problems, which I'm more than happy to talk about. The problem is he's totally dwelling on his past mistakes, he's trying to find people to blame etc. I'm trying to tell him to focus on the future but he won't listen.

Most importantly I've been trying to get him to chill and talk with me in person but he doesn't want to. I think if I can talk to him in person, just listen to him, I can help him a lot. Basically how do I convince him to allow me to meet and talk with him in person?

2. dolphin

dolphin Member

you definitely need to talk to him in person, phone or emails can not replace a smile. Try to invite him for coffee and you know when someone is suicidal, you need to listen to him, the words he uses are very important.
    just tell him to talk to you about everything that bothers him.

3. MaidenFan

MaidenFan Member

I know, that's what I'm trying to do. But I'm having a hard time convincing him to even meet me. He's being totally 100% irrational, he can't give me a rational reason why we can't just hang out for a day.

I know I can't force myself on him. I'm just trying to keep him talking, and trying to work him over, I hope he'll agree to chill eventually. Was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and how they solved this problem.

4. dolphin

dolphin Member

you say he is irrational, well this is the time to see him, I have been in suicidal situations in which I was very irrational, I wanted to end it. it is a clue! please try to talk with him.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Introduce him to SF!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.