help in telling parents

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by netsirk, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netsirk

netsirk Active Member

I am new here and I have been searching for a place like this to connect with other people like me. For years I have felt like a freak and didn't know where to turn. I started counseling in April and my counselor now thinks that I need to tell my parents about my cutting and I don't know how to tell them. I am married and have my own family and it is a conversation that I don't want my kids to hear. My parents are also 6 hours away and I don't think a phone call is the way to go, although I wish it was. They are coming to visit over Thanksgiving and I want to tell them then but not sure how to. Any ideas?:unsure:
  2. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I'm going to be honest..its awkward. Th deputy head told my parents about it. She then came up and had an hour long chat about it. It was so uncomfortable. Hence the reason I have not told her since.

But since you are older than me, I suppose all you can do is be strong and tell them. I am sure they will understand

3. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

I agree with Sizzoragame: it will be hard however you do it.

I would suggest however that you tell your parents in advance that you need to tell them something important, and arrange to set some time alone with them. Also, that way you won't chicken out :unsure:

How about just telling one of them? If you're happier talking to one of them, then maybe that will make it easier to say.

Good luck, and take care
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.