Help Lines?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ThornThatNeverHeals, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

I know there are links to helplines on here... thats not what i am seeking... I know im getting worse, more depressed, isolating myself from my family, and projecting onto people here. Im feeling more alone than every, but enjoy the pain its bringing me. Im having more suicidal thoughts, dreaming of it, and thinking of it during activities i used to not worry about. I want to call a helpline... but im scared to. Ive had friends ive met here who have called, and when they were ready to commit and so told, then the people of the helpline contactd the police. A mental ward followed, and of course, no choice was given to the person. How do i know im relaly safe talking? how i do i know its completley confidential? even to my parents, if im not of legal age? I cant call until im sure... and i want to and feel the need to talk to someone... but im just so scared...

2. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

None that I know of are completly confidentual...If they believe you are at risk, or not thinking rationally the generally call the police... I've spoke to some that have heard out my suicidal thoughts and nothing happened, but the time i went back and mentioned a clear plan, then they called the police.

I hope you find one that you can talk to...try to check out their website if they have one before you call, and find their policy on confidentuality.

3. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Samaritans in the UK is completely confidential with any things that are said, regardless of what they are (there are exceptions, for terrorism etc., but that doesn't apply here), but as you're in the US, that may not be an option for you in terms of a phone call. You can always e-mail them, though - on jo@samaritans.org ...
    Other than that, I'm a bit stuck on what to offer, I'm afraid.

4. TheOncomingStorm

But even samaritans will break confidentiality if not being able to make rational decisions... this is taken from their own website - 'We call an ambulance because a caller appears to be incapable of making rational decisions for him or herself'

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think with helplines they will not call an ambulance or police if it is just thoughts, they will listen and advise and guide you appropriately. The only time I know they call the police/ambulance is if you have taken something or done smething to harm yourself or if you have an active plan that you are going to carry out. So talking about your thoughts in general you shouls be safe and I would highly doubt they would call the emergency services for that.

6. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

the problem is that im a self mutilator, its not just the harm, i like the next step up of that.

and i tried the samaritans... i felt like i was talking to an automated machine

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

IF you self mutilate for relief, that is different. They won't call the police for that./

8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Yes, but that is only done when they know the caller's name / address / telephone number. A volunteer can't get that, unless the caller actively tells them it.

9. TheOncomingStorm

But speaking from experience, they can quite easily call the police who can trace down phonecalls to location or trace location via emails by contacting ISP. So they dont even need to know your details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.