Help me get bigger

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Hache, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I need to put muscle on because I am like a weak little boy at the age of 22.

I have a pull up/chin up bar, that is all. I do not want to go to a gym.

So can anyone help come up with a routine and also "cheap" supplements maybe I could take? (baring in mind I am British)

2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

forget supplements -- eat healthily, with a balanced diet and make sure you exercise regularly.

TDM

3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

You may be a textbook ectomorph, naturally slight in build. I am and for a year of my life, age nineteen to twenty I drank high calorie/high protein shakes and faithfully followed a comprehensive and grueling weightlifting program. I gained all of 1 to 2 pounds, less than one kilo. I gave up after that and accepted that I have a distance runners build, hence my avatar.

I'm guessing this is definitely NOT the answer you want and you may very well be luckier in a quest to build lean muscle mass- look at Leo DiCaprio in Titanic (1997) and compare his appearance now. I hope he didn't resort to anabolic steroid use to gain weight and I hope you don't get tempted to try them. Their systemic and TREMENDOUSLY destructive effects on the human body are too many to address here and the muscular gain from their use is not a worthwhile trade off.

Forgive me sincerely if I am presuming incorrectly but if you are looking to gain muscle because of some local hooligans who have are being aggressive with you then there are ways to handle that situation even if that means taking a martial arts course to let them know there are easier pickings than you.

If you want to be more physically attractive then just taking up an athletic endeavor- bicycling or running (I run) will accomplish that. Lance Armstrong is, bulging quadriceps notwithstanding, an ectomorph and he has to, figuratively, beat the ladies off with a stick. I know it is not to his disadvantage he has a handsome face and more money than God.

Even a scrawny fella like me gets flirted with in public. I'm poor and ridiculously shy. I have a handsome face though (are you listening ladies?? - no get away, I'm too bashful :hiding: ) Anyway, a weight training program with good nutrition will make you tremendously attractive with, if not an increase in mass, muscular definition and the very attractive qualities of confidence and positivity. Good luck, Hache!!!

4. rsand

rsand Member

I used to be on a quest to get in the best shape i could be in (for job purposes), honestly supplements are good when your working out, when you stop your body just feels blah! Eat healthy, lots of veggies and good stuff with protein, greens are good for muscle recovery and a glass of choco milk (low-fat or 2%) that is also for muscle recovery. It was mentioned biking and running...yes!!!! Upper body can be built up quick with kettle bells, mind you they are rough at the beginning. When used with the right technique they are almost a full body workout targeting primary's such as biceps, triceps...you get the picture, once you start it you'll know what i mean by a full body workout. Almost every exercise is a fluid full body motion.

Remember take it slow do what your body is capable of and have fun! Dont expect results right away but the one thing you will notice right away is that you will feel better, mind and body.

5. r90

r90 Member

Do a simple routine of pushups/pullups, you'd be surprised at what those simple exercises can do for the body. You won't really get "big" though (assuming you don't have freak genetics). In order to do that, you'll have to lift weights (and eat big).

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i agree with this. i'm a weakling again atm, but i agree.

how are greens good for muscle recovery though? i'd think protein would be.

7. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

Stronglifts.com boet, thats the site you need to visit. When i started i weighed 60kg, had a pigeon chest and couldnt even do one pullup. The 5x5 routine works well, ive gained 3kg of muscle just by eating enough to promote muscle growth and doing compound exercises. And Mehdi and the others are very helpful, they arent like people on certain other sites who just ignore posts and get all cliquey. Dont forget to say howzit when you join (my nick is Templar) cheers

8. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Sadly I have lost all motivation for life but at least these replies are here for me to see in the future if I ever feel ok, thanks guys