Help me lose weight for summer!

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by KittyGirl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Okay... I hadn't previously thought about this because I was sure that I wouldn't be alive come summer time... but it seems that I will be- which is okay.
    If I plan to move on with my life though- I'm going to have to start working.
    I'm not the type of person who can be satisfied; working a part time job- flipping burgers though... so for the most part, any jobs I will be looking for will require me to be in shape.

I weighed myself today and I'm just under 160lbs
    My weight in the past was constantly 120... so I've gained quite a bit.
    Granted; I've matured and I don't have a teenage body anymore- so I don't expect to ever be 120 again; without looking extremely twig-like.
    My goal weight for mid-summer is 130lbs.

Now that my body has changed, I'm a bit concerned with gaining muscle mass- rather than thinning out if I exercise.
    I'm looking to be lean and not beefy.

As for exercise; I currently do 20-40 minutes of yoga every day, and plan to start jogging once it warms up a bit.

My current diet consists of mostly vegetables; chicken and nuts- 2 meals a day +1 or 2 snacks a day.
    I'm still on a bit of a junk food kick... so I'll need to be cutting back and possibly dropping junkfood entirely >.<
    My family orders takeout once per week. bleh.

Any suggestions on how I can lose weight quickly- and without hurting myself would be appreciated.
    And please feel free to exchange ideas on how to shed winter weight in time for the dreaded 'bikini season'! lol

I do live in a beach town... so any modeling jobs I might go for-- will all have to do with being half naked. guaranteed.
  2. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member has good info. Check out their forums and their site has good articles. They should help you come up with a decent diet. I'm assuming you want to do this in a safe, healthy manner of course.
  3. xan

xan Chat Buddy

That's a very useful site, gives you a rough idea of how much you should be eating to lose the amount of weight you want to.

I managed to lose like 11lbs in about 2-3 weeks last summer when i started to watch what i ate and go to the gym everyday. Running is a pretty good way if you run for long enough, but remember exercise builds up muscle which is heavier than fat, so don't try to lose too much as it'll probably plateau out but you'll continue to tone up. Try some ab exercises as well, they should help to tone up stomach area and get slimmer without losing as much. Good luck :p I'll probably be joining you in dieting and exercising as well shortly heh XP
  4. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

there isnt any quick fix.
    eating less and excercising more is the only way sensibly acheive what you want, not much fun i suppose, but you reap what you sow etc.
    good luck.
  5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

hey yoga is great i do it myself...
    I have two tips for you.

Do vinyasa or power yoga...they have DVDS that have hard core sessions geared to weight loss

2- Belly is so fun, burns calories, gives you a rocking belly and gives you the cardio yoga often lacks. Again there are dvds and youtube has some great workouts on it so check it out... i slim down fast with belly dancing and it is sexy too.
  6. Stray

Stray Account Closed

drink green tea. It speeds up metabolism and burns fat.
  7. xan

xan Chat Buddy

8. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Eat less, Exercise more, Poop a lot.
  9. KittyGirl

lol mike XD
    - basically; that's my plan, I think.

Thanks everyone! I'll do my best to stay motivated!!
  10. KittyGirl

today I am 144lbs
    That is a drop of (158 < is what I started with) 14lbs

and I didn't purge a single time!
    It's all thanks to mike's advice and pooping---- alot.
    XD kidding

I made my portions smaller- no junkfood- 3 cups of tea per day (green)- combined with some intense workouts... and no sleeping in all day or lying in bed for no reason.
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

if you want to exercise properly you need to eat. i'm not joking, you need to eat well and loads.

by well, i mean complex carbs, fruit, veg, protein and water for aerobic stuff, because if not, you might 'lose weight' but all you're losing are things like you mentioned shit and water- you are probably dehydrating right now, and it will come back once you eat normally again as your body will be rehydrating itself. green tea again, is a diruetic. do you want to lose water/shit weight or gain lean muscle mass? the latter takes time, patience and lots of good food.

looking at what you eat, i'd say- increase your complex carb intake:
    oats, wholegrains (rice, pasta). 3 meals of this a long with the veg and chicken you're eating will give you energy to think, live and be active if you want to.

i went through months not eating enough carbohydrate, exercising, dehydrating on coffee and ended up in a bad state- i had a TIA (mini stroke), just be careful.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
  12. KittyGirl

I suppose I should've mentioned-- I do eat alot of carbs... but that just seems normal to me.
    The amount that I've lost *is* pretty much all water weight- I'm sure; since the first time I weighed myself it was around *that time* of the month.
    I would guess that the amount I have actually lost is only a couple of pounds *if* that.

I stay very hydrated- especially when I exercise- always drinking water
  13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i'm glad, i know around certain times- water weight and stuff, ok.

but when i mean carbohydrate, i mean complex carboydrate and a lot of it- when i was exercising a few months ago regularly, i looked at food as fuel, and i listen to my body very closely, if i can't do it, i can't do it. it's time to rest.
    take it slowly and look after yourself :hug:. drinking loads can also mean losing electrolytes too: it's a tricky balance if you're restricting and exercising.
  14. KittyGirl

>< gah! why can't it just be easy?!

Well, thankyou for your suggestions ggg4567
    I'll try to take it slow(er)