Help me understand this

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by PandorasToybox, Aug 1, 2009.

1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand why others are so surprised when someone they is suicidal makes an attempt & they didn't even try to help that person. They get mad at that person who did try to reach out & seek help.

I just don't get it at all. They turn their backs, that person can't take the pain anymore, and others get mad at that person for trying to find some relief. Those other people aren't the ones having to carry the pain, and they treat that person like a burden.
  2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Someone on this forum made a very good point the other day when they said we shouldn't get mad at those around us for not trying to help, because a lot of the time they don't help because they don't know how to.

The only problem is (and this is a massive catch-22) if I reach out to you and you don't help me, how can you be mad at me for making an attempt?
    I think they're probably more angry at themselves than anything, for not knowing how to stop it, so they place the blame elsewhere.
  3. PandorasToybox

But it's even when they know what to do, and they don't do something that it's an awkward situation. Like for example: They shove me on a 6month waiting list, only then to inform me they forgot to put me on the list and then I make an attempt at some point and they get mad.
  4. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

i think that people don't help because they are afraid they wont know what to say but also because they are dealing with their own problems and sometimes its too hard to help others when you cant even help yourself. then again there are the people who just dont care about other people at all.
  5. PandorasToybox

But I mean the people who are trained to in this field of work. Even then if people don't know how to help or don't want to, they just shouldn't say anything period.
  6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on the people who are trained.
    My Mum made an excuse for my Doctor when he yelled at me saying he was only human.
    That's bull! There's no such thing as 'only human', because what else can you be?

I would've reported him if I knew where to report him to.

I have to agree with you Hailz, people who are trained and paid to do their job, can't even do that right and if someone went off at me when they didn't do their job properly, I'd tell them so.

I actually want to be a psychiatric nurse because I know (having seen it from the other side) that I would never fail to do what I am there to do or help wherever I am needed.
  7. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member thing I forgot to say is I believe it's sheer laziness. If you chose to work in an industry with vulnerable people you had better do what you are there to do and do it properly.
    It's not like working at a supermarket, you can't get angry at a customer and just apologise. Because if you get angry at a sick person they might not stick around to be apologised to.
  8. PandorasToybox

That's exactly what I mean! Like I had people professional wise who are scared to do or say anything at times and then when something happens they make sure I know that I worry them so they stay up till 1am. Like its a total guilt trip & yet in many cases it can be prevented before hand.

The last person who told me to piss off sent me over the edge, and I know now that if I do end up with some bad liver damage that those people who dropped their support are going to turn around and make me feel guility and tell me how selfish I am.

It just never makes sense...I should write a book on it..
  9. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Agreed, Linds. I'd love to be a psychiatric nurse too, or just work in psychiatry in general so I could really help people. Unfortunately, I probably never will, because it costs a fortune to go to school (and I hated school with a passion).
  10. PandorasToybox

I wanted to become a psychologist up until my horrible experiences these last few months. Now even reading stuff about psychology makes me angry & upset. I'd still love to raise awareness on depression & suicide ... it's killer
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:furious: I hate stories like that. There's no excuse for having a doctor say that to you. You could have reported him to your PCT.

If you wanna be a psych nurse you sound like you'd be a great one who'd take her job seriously. Really! I got one psych nurse suspended recently. It felt good but it's amazing who the fuck works in the system.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009