Help Me!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by texaskitty, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I updated Java on Mac OSX and now I can't get into chat.

I tried Safari and Firefox and neither works.

Can someone help me please?

2. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

never update java unless you have no choice. as far as firefox goes you might try to re-download it. go to thier website and selsect download latest version. you dont need to delete your current version first. it worked for me one time before.

3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

If what Jxdama suggested doesn't work, I wonder if uninstalling Java and then installing the previous version could work. It's the only suggestion I can think of at the moment.

4. Null

Null Well-Known Member

5. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Official SF Hugger Staff Alumni

I didn't get in chat with Java 8 and had to downgrade to Java 7 update 45. Silly Java!

6. texaskitty

Firefox worked once. Now it locks up when I try to enter chat. Please help.

7. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I've missed you in chat, I hope someone has a fix. Do you know how to roll back to the previous version of java? And what comes up when you try to enter, do you get a message or something?

8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Try the Java 7 - that seems to be the most common fix to Apple product issues. Another option though not quite as convenient might to be try using your tablet with the alt chat link. It is mobile chat , but at least it is chat :hug:

9. texaskitty

Ben I don't know how to revert back to Java 7. Prash it just says chat room and locks up.

10. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

11. texaskitty

Now I have a virus on my Mac

12. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Malware on Mac is relatively rare and actual virus so rare as to be non existent- what is it doing that makes you think is a virus?

13. texaskitty

I got apple on the phone, it was adware which Macs can get. But Safari doesn't recognize chat. That leaves Firefox which doesn't work either.

14. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

Java installation help link: https://java.com/en/download/help/index_installing.xml
    Link to help unistalling : https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

Note that if you have 64 bit version of chrome/firefox. You would probably need 64 bit version of java.

On chrome you can check the version by clicking Menu > About Google Chrome > you should see 64 bit (Version 43.0.2357.45 beta-m (64-bit)) if there is no 64 bit mentioned that means its 32 bit.

To check which version of java you have installed go to control panel > Programs and features > Search "Java" > you should see "Java 8 Update 45 (64-bit)"

Alternatively you can install this chrome extension > https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg
    Then click it and choose Android > Android Kitkat .. this will take you to mobile version of chat

15. Null

Null Well-Known Member

ZaHeeR I believe angie is on a Mac. So if she's going to attempt the downgrade it will need to be mac instructions.

Switching the "User agent"... You are brilliant ZaHeeR!! It's an interesting work around/fix.

16. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

Hi X.ark , Link covers Windows, Mac and even Linux.

17. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

ZaHeeR, would something like the instructions you sent me to get around Java and into chat, work for Angie with Firefox on a Mac? Or is that Windows-specific?

18. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

will work for mac too Ali

19. Null

Null Well-Known Member

You are right ZaHeeR. Mac links are there, I had over looked them.

20. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Official SF Hugger Staff Alumni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.