Help please

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by no point, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no point

no point Well-Known Member

I have been going to therapy for 9 months and I still find it really hard to open up with my therapist. It was only last week that I told her about the SI. I'm sure she thinks of me as a failure. Even when I talk to her, I can't talk about my feelings. I have to pretend that I'm happy and that I have no problems. So I have to smile when I talk to her. I can't talk about the suicidal feelings. I pretend as if nothing or noone could ever hurt me. And when she asks me questions about my feelings, sometimes I lie. I don't do it on purpose; I just do it to protect myself I think. She knows I lie so she tells me to be honest when I answer her questions. Does anybody feel the way I do? And how do you overcome that feeling? I really need help because if I can't open up with her, I think she might not want to see me anymore. She knows I'm struggling but I can't tell her the reasons so she thinks I don't trust her. I know this post is really pathetic but I really need some help.

2. delirium

delirium Well-Known Member

She can be the most useful to you when you open up and let her know what's going on. (I know you know that.) :biggrin:

A suggestion I can offer is keeping a notebook around and taking notes of the things that bother you the most and maybe the things you want to change...maybe things you want to talk to her about. Take your notes with you to one of your appointments and it may seem silly at first but maybe you could go over them with her to see if there's anything you can work on.
    I don't know if it's a good suggestion but it might be worth a shot.

I know it's hard to be honest and it's so much easier to pretend that nothing's wrong.

I hope that you find a way to open up to her.

3. BeenThere

BeenThere Guest

I used to lie as well when i was doing therapy for my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).I thought to myself"why should i answer this truthfully wont he thinkl im nuts?"The truth is you feel a whole lot better letting it all out in the end.Yes it may feel like it is being too personal....but remember they are there to help.You will notice the stress load will reduce significantly i think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.