Help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusion

Okay. I've searched & searched but still haven't found many answers. I know in the US state South Carolina that you can be signed out of school at 16 with parent permission. I'm just curious.. How does all that work? Like where does my mother have to sign? Please don't lecture me about "education this, money that, blah blah" I don't wanna hear it. I'm asking here cause people on Yahoo are usually rude about stuff like this. I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to discuss this on here. I also know that nobody here is probably from South Carolina and wouldn't know much. Just help me as much as you can. Also.. I'm so scared about people judging me but here I go anyways.. I've pretty much quit already. I haven't showed up since March to school. Nobody's sent anything or said anything though. I'm scared somethings gonna happen though. I don't want to be taken from my family or my mom be taken to jail or anything like that. I don't care if I was to be fined or put in juvy though. I can handle that. I just don't want nothing affecting my family. School was really the worst years of my life & I wanted them years to end so that I could find myself & develop self esteem without all the drama. I refuse to go back to those horrible days.

*sigh* I'll stick around and wait for answers before attempting suicide again. I'll probably fail again anyways.. Don't make fun of me or hate me like everyone else has... :sad:

nolonger

I'm pretty sure your mum would go up to the school and they'll have some papers for her to sign that basically say you're 'cancelling' your enrolement. You'll probly have to sign some aswell. But from what I would assume, as soon as you've signed the papers and all, YOU'RE A FREE MAN!!!(well woman, lol :P)

But in Australia you have to have a job of atleast 25 hours a week to leave school or something. although it isn't hard to fly under the radar and just no turn up to a school. Plus you could simply go to work for a week or so and then quit LOL. Here i come unemployed pension! XD

Illusion

lol. I'm scared the school is gonna say something to my mom though if she goes up there. Perhaps when this year runs out & the next is about to start it'll be safe to.

Mr Stewart

I've pretty much quit already. I haven't showed up since March to school. Nobody's sent anything or said anything though. I'm scared somethings gonna happen though. I don't want to be taken from my family or my mom be taken to jail or anything like that. I don't care if I was to be fined or put in juvy though. I can handle that. I just don't want nothing affecting my family.
Okay, first off, please don't worry about any of this. You are not legally obligated to finish highschool nor would your mom be breaking any laws by allowing you to drop out. It's okay. Honest.

I do think it's important for you to eventually finish school, so I have a suggestion: you could finish your diploma by correspondence. I don't know how things work in the States but I imagine they have similar programs in place. Before you leave school could you please talk to one of the counsellors on staff about possible correspondence programs? If they are available, ask your mom about it, see if you can work something out. I'm suggesting this because it's something I had to do myself after dropping out of grade 12 due to depression/social problems. It really helped me, and I hope maybe it could help in your case as well.

No need to make any decisions on that right away. Take a little time. Think about it, okay?

Julia-C

S.C. compulsory education code sets the age at 17. Exceptions in the code allows a minor to leave school at age 16 with approval from the court of jurisdiction. (S.C. Code, Education, Article 1, Sect: 59-65-10(A) to Sect: 59-65-30 (C)

The answers you seek can be found at the above link. You have three options.
1) Get your parent to give you permission. In this case it is only a matter of paperwork and a single trip to see a judge in the state of S.C. Paperwork can be obtained at the school or directly from the S.C. board of education.

2)Petition the courts to allow you to drop out without parental consent. This will be next to impossible, but is possible.

3) Wait until you are 17. At 17 you have the legal right to drop out if you choose.

That being said I urge you to stay in school. You will regret it later if you don't.

Illusion

Thanks for the information. I'm really scared of judges & don't want to cause a scene or anything so I might just consider being in an Online School.
I have bad depression, anxiety & my social skills aren't that great. I was seeing a counselor before I stopped going so my school already knows about all that.
I feel like they would let me yet give me hell about it. I'm just gonna think about it a little more.

I'm sorry that so many people were mean to you :(

I hope that things can get better for you

I hope that we can help in some way

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Illusion

I think things will get better from here teasing wise since I wont be around them no more. They went ahead and let me drop out of school since I'll be 16 in a couple of months. I was so relieved that my mom wouldn't be in trouble at all nor me. Yet again, South Carolina is a pretty laid back state compared to others I think.
I hope nobody lectures me on here about it cause believe me, I've gotten plenty of lectures in person already. :laugh:
But yeah.. I do have a plan. I'm gonna try for a GED when I'm 18 & hopefully in more control of myself. Then I'll look for jobs I'm able to do related to helping animals. Whether it all works out or not, at least I tried. I suck at planning stuff so family will probably help me out in the future to.

Starlite

I think things will get better from here teasing wise since I wont be around them no more. They went ahead and let me drop out of school since I'll be 16 in a couple of months. I was so relieved that my mom wouldn't be in trouble at all nor me. Yet again, South Carolina is a pretty laid back state compared to others I think.
I hope nobody lectures me on here about it cause believe me, I've gotten plenty of lectures in person already. :laugh:
But yeah.. I do have a plan. I'm gonna try for a GED when I'm 18 & hopefully in more control of myself. Then I'll look for jobs I'm able to do related to helping animals. Whether it all works out or not, at least I tried. I suck at planning stuff so family will probably help me out in the future to.
Im glad things seems to be working our for you Kitteh , especially as far as the teasing goes and your mom. I''m in virginia, so not too far away from you. I commend you on thinking about the GED courses and having a plan. And the plan of helping with animals. At least you know what you want to do and have an interest in . that is a major plus I do think. I have no intentions of lecturing you because you are your own person and making your own decisions. I hope you get into therapy and let him or her help you through your "stuff" so you can cope and get on your way to being able to live a good productive life. Hugs to you and honestly , Most people your age don't have their heads this well screwed on , even though some would disagree, i think you to be more mature than most 16 year olds. Well done my dear.

Karren

Illusion

Thanks so much for being so kind :3. Everyone is always putting me down and telling me I'm immature. Especially my mom & step dad. There the ones holding me back it seems like most times. I'll be honest.. For a while I didn't have much of a plan. The animal idea popped up cause if I'm gonna be working a job it better be something I enjoy or else I'll be miserable. What I mentioned here is all I've got planned so far.. The only down side to that is that I'll probably still be living with my parents a few years to come since I can't be on my own. It would be to triggering for me.

I'm surprised that I'm opening up about my future life at the moment..
Usually I feel ashamed to even mention being a drop out to people & discussing my plans cause I fear harsh criticism. I'm extremely vulnerable..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for being so kind :3. Everyone is always putting me down and telling me I'm immature. Especially my mom & step dad. There the ones holding me back it seems like most times. I'll be honest.. For a while I didn't have much of a plan. The animal idea popped up cause if I'm gonna be working a job it better be something I enjoy or else I'll be miserable. What I mentioned here is all I've got planned so far.. The only down side to that is that I'll probably still be living with my parents a few years to come since I can't be on my own. It would be to triggering for me.

I'm surprised that I'm opening up about my future life at the moment..
Usually I feel ashamed to even mention being a drop out to people & discussing my plans cause I fear harsh criticism. I'm extremely vulnerable..

Kitteh, it's like someone who is learning to play the piano. They have to learn to play the simple keys first before learning to read the music. Once they learn that, then they can move on to maybe learning to read the music. Even Beethoven had to start from somewhere. You don't have to start big , you just have to start somewhere , and making a plan, however or whatever it may be for you, is ok. Guess what, it's ok to be you. It's ok to be who you are and it's ok to take your time. and It's ok to do take your time do decide what you want to do with the rest of your life, and if working with animals is what you enjoy, then be the best at that that you can be. I love animals and I applaud those who care for them. What I say about people who criticize you, is take it with a grain of salt, because only you know how you feel inside and only can do what you know you need to do for yourself. Find out what keeps you safe and what makes you happy. At the end of the day, you are laying your head on the pillow, not someone else's, and you matter the most.

huge hugs....
Karren

Illusion

Thanks ace. I'm glad someone does. :hug:

& what you said Karren just lifted a lot of weight off my shoulders.
I feel a lot better about myself now & have gained a bit of confidence about the future. I really needed that. My mom has always told me she started working a lot when she was 9 years old & said I was behind from what she was doing. I'm not her.. I think she wants me to be like her so badly but I can't be. But anyways.. I needed to hear what you said. Thanks a lot. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00