Help please

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by exkend, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exkend

exkend Well-Known Member

I'm about to lose my job, and then lose my house. I've lost my gf and father recently. I'm not qualified and have severe issues learning. I just can't function in society. I'm isolated almost all the time, even at work. This has been my life always. I see a pt who is great but doesn't really help beyond talking things through, which is something I guess. I have tried anti depressants for years but they make me worse. I have been on them for years and have tried many different types.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

maybe you can ask you pt for groups that could break the where you can meet people like you or who have similar problems and do arts, talk, sports etc...usually there are groups organization that are usually free....if not maybe you can see a doctor to ask for those organizations...or go on the net to find them near you...some places help you find a job that is suited according to your problems/needs...

hope this is helpful....
  3. exkend

exkend Well-Known Member

I've done both. My doc told me I should have electro shock therapy and stay on anti depressants. My pt says I should not go on anti dpressants and that my reactions are perfectly normal. Beyond that neither has offered any practical help, even though I ask them on a regualr basis. Thank you so much I am just at my wits end and feel trapped, your kind words help a great deal.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Your doctor knows your medical history knows you more then your therapist does i don't understand how therapist can tell you not to follow your doctors advice. There a new antidepressants o ut there each year a new one comes with less side effects ECT has helped many people hun so discuss it again with your doc ok If it is the only choice then maybe you should look into it hugs
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Maybe your therapist and pdoc can talk to each other and come up with a plan so that you are not in the middle
  6. exkend

exkend Well-Known Member

They do talk with each other. I have been to many, many therapists over twenty+ years and most of them have said I do not need anti-depressants. My doc who doesn't really understand psychology to well is the only person who suggests anti-depressants and ect. Feeling despair is a healthy psychological response to a horrendous situation, believe it or not, it proves there is nothing wrong with that person, which means they don't need any anti-depressants. They need support.

At the end of the day everyone is different and should be supported in a way they find helpful. Depression is such a huge spectrum and the term has become a colloquialism for any unhappy mood, that it takes a lot to truly understand what type of unhappiness a person is experiencing. In my case it is grief, which is something that should be allowed to process without the use of medication.
  7. katrina77

katrina77 Guest

It sounds like you have a better idea right now for what you need than your docs. You need support to help you get through a difficult time.

We recently lost our house due to financial problems. It was hard, but in the end, we got through it. And now, it's actually a relief not worrying about all the money owed, etc.

I hope you can find some local groups, etc., that you can connect with. Talking with people in the same circumstances can be really healing.
  8. exkend

exkend Well-Known Member

I've tried to do as much reading up on my situation as possible, which helps a little. The unfortunate thing is I have very little support really it's only my bro and pt. I have a hard time meeting other people because I have no money and no self confidence. There are also no groups in my area who deal with these kinds of things, I have asked everywhere. My only solace is reading and reading. It still doesn't help that much, it really only serves to help realise how little most people know how to help others.

My pt said something wise which is that most people turn away from looking at the dark side of life. I spend most of my time if not all of it looking, not because I want to but because I have to, in order to help my family survive and understand what is happening. I am desperately struggling right now and have been for awhile and hope and pray that I can survive this crisis.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.