Help the animals :)

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Esmeralda, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

The animal shelters are always asking for donations, which I give to when I can, but I have an idea...

The adoption fee for an animal (here in the U.S.) is generally around 65 dollars (for spaying/neutering/shots, etc.)

I would love to adopt every stray I can find :), but that's impossible.

So I had this idea that places with adoptable animals should allow someone to "sponsor" a pet. You could go online, pick a pet and pay the adoption fee so that anyone who adopted that pet could do it for free!

Anyway, it would be like a "save the children" deal for animals, so that people who may not be able to afford the initial fee could adopt that pet for free.

So, here's my request: If you love animals and if you think this is a good idea, please email your local animal shelter and ask them to place this option on their website so that these animals can find loving homes.

2. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Good idea. Will send letters to all shelters and vets I know around. Let the vets know as well so that they can link-joint efforts together in this.

Thanks hun, I love and have animals and did adopt several animals over the years and know how initial cost can weight.

:hug:

granny xx

3. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Come on guys-gals, lets do something about the abuse and mistreatment to animals. Just as babes dont ask nor have fault in being abandoned or abused neither do animals...... lots help and dedicate themselves to causes worthy of it......... THIS IS ONE OF THEM....... JOIN IN

4. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

good idea. we were the first to adopt a dog out of a group that was abused by there owner and taken away by animal police, forgot what they are called heh. One thing im worried about is the number of these animals, we cannot possibly manage the vast number of these animals. They just keep breeding and suffering, they suffer so much. We need to fix this problem some how. I'm sure there is already many websites dedicated to this subject, but need to say my concerns.

5. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

Nature's rule is survival of the fittest, and suffering is natural. They will evolve to survive in our society, like rats and roaches already have. If we continuously help them, they will evolve to become more and more helpless and more and more dependent on us. By helping them we are hurting them in the long run!

But if helping them makes you happy, then that's another matter. Let them be tools to serve as satisfaction for your feelings. Let them evolve to become dependent on you.

6. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

who said we cannot change evolution? coexistence is also a part of evolution. suffering is natural but there is no standard amount, it can be brought down to a minimum. No one really wants rats, roaches and dogs running wild through there home or area, i think. That is the problem.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

It's the chickens I really feel sorry for. Their suffering isn't even natural.

The point is I'd rather give money to an animal organisation to combat the suffering of chickens, than providing a human with the money to buy a cat.

Unfortunately the RSPCA have to put down a high number of cats and dogs but I don't think rehousing should be their priority. If they have to keep your adopted pet alive for a significant amount of time then they're going to have to pour extra finances into it (unless you choose to pay monthly feeding, housing costs as well)

What I respect most about the organisation is that they eliminate suffering to animals, that's where I'd rather see my money go, not in rehousing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  8. Esmeralda

Yes but animal shelters spay/neuter every animal that passes through, so there is no evolution to worry about, just an animal who deserves a home.

9. Esmeralda

I had another idea as well. Maybe if people could sponsor older pets for adoption to encourage the adoption of senior pets as opposed to just puppies and kittens :)

And thanks for the support granny, it means a lot :) Both of my pets are rescues too! Good idea btw to get the vets involved! :hug:

10. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

I'm against spaying/neutering too. It's a violation of their fundamental rights, if anything is. I'd rather we leave them alone on the streets than take them into some cell and destroy their reproductive organs.

11. Esmeralda

Do you have any idea what the world would be like if we didn't spay and neuter? Packs of starving, wild dogs would be roaming the streets. Unwanted animals are already crowding the shelters and will either spend their lives in a cage or be killed. It's far less cruel to have them fixed than the alternative.

12. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

thank you. I try to agree to disagree but I have a HUGE issue with people who don't look at the big picture. If you worked with a rescue, even for a short time and saw how many are murdered, or should I say euthinized, with that type of thinking you might change your mind. :dry:

This is a great idea, and I actually have a raffle going for the rescue I work with every saturday. we've made a lot of money(ends tonight) and will probobly put most if not all toward vet bills. I have a true passion for animals, and find that I often like them more than people I meet. I am trying to resist adopting a 5th doggie.. I have few excuses. lol:tongue:

13. Esmeralda

That is so wonderful! I know what it's like trying to find excuses to rescue doggies and kitties, but my husband keeps me in check :) I remember seeing a documentary about a woman who runs a shelter where they euthanize some dogs. They are usually unadoptable because their previous owners taught them to be aggressive or they were abused. Some have spent their entire lives in tiny cages at no-kill shelters and are consequently totally insane, pacing 22 hours a day in circles and things like that. It was horrible and made me realize that sometimes euthanasia is necessary for the animal. Whenever she is going to euthanize a dog she puts it in the car and goes to McDonald's and buys it some chicken nuggets and fries as a last meal. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen and I literally wept as I saw it :( If we can only control the animal population we could stop this senseless suffering.

14. Ziggy

Honestly I support what you're saying, I've chosen to raise a sick cat myself. But somebody hates animal cruelty and tries to make the world a better place by buying a dog chicken nuggets from McDonald's??? Ok I know animals have to eat meat I accept that, but chicken nuggets from McDonald's??? Come on.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  15. Esmeralda

What do you think they put in dog food, rainbows and sunshine? Most people see a huge difference between dogs and chickens, btw. I never met a chicken who could add 7 years to my lifespan just by being there and loving me. Animal cruelty of any sort is sad, but you gotta pick your battles.

16. Ziggy

I simply can't bring myself to support McDonald's. Go to the butcher and buy the dog some meat from there.

I know most people see a huge difference between dogs and chickens, that doesn't mean most people are right though. You have a preference for dogs I understand that, that's why I feel sorry for the chicken.

17. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

They don't have to be euthanized. They can just be left to wander the streets. Do you think animals are in paradise in nature? Do you think they get food for free? No, they have to fight for it. They can kill small animals like squirrels and pidgeons on the streets.

18. Esmeralda

Which is sweet of you :)

19. Esmeralda

You do know that in California and other states these strays are forming packs and roaming the cities attacking and sometimes killing children right? And this is the city, not some backwoods town in the mountains.

20. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

Meh you're right. It all comes down to the fact that if we let them roam free and naturally, it would put our children in danger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.