Help when in a crisis

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I've talked this over with many people, and this is probably the biggest obstacle for me.
    I can impulsively make a bad decision to overdose when I hit that breaking point. I'm always told by those around me that if I do overdose to call 911, but see, I would never call 911 on myself. I don't let the people close to me see me at my worst, and having strangers see me at my worst... I couldnt handle that. When I'm in that frame of mind I just want comfort and familiarity. I dont want to be left alone with strangers who may or may not understand my situation. I always regret what I did after the fact.
    I do have people I regulary contact when I need to talk or just need comfort but I'm not sure if I should say anything to them.
    So any ideas of what to do?

2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Sorry Hailz no advice just wanted to say you hit the nail perfectly on the head!! Hope you get some good advice from someone here. Just wanted to let you know I truly understand what you are saying.

3. PandorasToybox

Well I'm glad that somebody can understand what I'm saying, it doesnt always seem like I can explain it. Im not glad somebody is having the same problem, but at least we're not alone in the situation =)

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yeh its hard when we want others to see us as strong when were not. I think having a place like this helps so we can come to each other for support.
    I also think talking to a stranger abt problems is better because that person ill never see again i hope. Crisis phone line if you don't say you will harm yourself will talk with your for support and no hospital stay. I wish many times i could get help but just can't bring myself to do it. Just glad i have a safe place now here where no one will harm us just get support

5. PandorasToybox

I couldn't agree more with you!

I also wonder... the person that you call or the person that finds you, if you know them, how they feel about the situation? Thats my biggest fear in contacting somebody if I've attempted. I'm always afraid I'm interrupting them or being a burden =s

6. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I suppose they'd rather be interrupted than you die.

7. PandorasToybox

Good point

8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yeh they will be just happy you had the courage to call for help

9. PandorasToybox

That's true. Its better they help you, then have to attend your funeral..

10. PandorasToybox

I guess it is safe to say that if someone was given the chance to stop a suicide they would?

11. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Do you have anything in place for the impusivity? Sometimes if you have a built in time delay of some kind it gives you the time you need to think about what you are doing instead of acting on impulse. When I am worried I may act on impulse, I put my pills where they are not as easily accessed. It may be that I have them locked in the trunk of the car, or I ask a friend to hold them, or locked in a file cabinet, outside in the shed, etc. The extra time it takes for me to get them is all I need to take the impulsiveness out of it. I have also taped a picture of my children on the lid to remind me of how my choice may affect someone else. As far as contacting someone for help, they would much rather be given the chance to help you than live a lifetime without you.

12. PandorasToybox

This is going to sound selfish, but I'm at the point where I dont care who I leave behind. I can't see myself being like this for even another week.
    As for hiding the pills or something, I don't have a trunk, or anything to lock them in and nobody will remove them. I'd go nut if I didn't have access to them.

13. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It isn't selfish, just honest. Building in the time delay for the impulsive actions does not take away your access. I couldn't take it if I didn't have access to them either. All it does is give you extra time so your decision is not made on impulse. I gave examples, but these are in no way the only options. You can probably think of something else. Maybe divide the meds up so you do not have a lethal dose all in the same place. If you retreive them all, it is no longer on impulse, but planned. I am only trying to offer you ideas or suggestions. You still have the control. At any rate, I hope your issues get resolved so you can concentrate onyou.

14. PandorasToybox

All I know is the biggest step for me right now, is ensuring that after I do something impulsive, that I contact somebody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.