Help with rapid cycling

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Throwmeawayout, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throwmeawayout

Throwmeawayout Active Member

Hey folks. I've been doing a lot better lately thanks to coming here and help from some other great people as well. However, the various positive developments in my life lately seem to have triggered quite a few manic or hypomanic days. Sometimes I just go with it and take advantage of the extra energy. But as many people here probably know, it really messes with my sleep cycle and other aspects of my life.

This then triggers some brief periods of depression, though these few days here and there aren't nearly as bad as the previous few months.

Anyway, I'm hoping that I will start a new job this week or next week. Once I can do that, I'm hoping to be able to see a therapist to help me out.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any good forums, chats, books, resources etc. for techniques on how to deal with rapid changes of mood? Like I said, some days I can just roll with the near-mania, but it has a way of breaking down my mental discipline after awhile.
  2. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

Greetings from a fellow rapid-cycler.

As much as I, for one, hate having to tame the manias, that is probably the biggest thing I've found to help slow down the cycling. Some things I do to try to bring it down include being very mindful of my sleep. Even if you're not tired, and even if you don't fall asleep, by going to bed at a regular time every night and keeping things calm, quiet, and dark, you're telling your brain that it's time to rest. I also tend to keep the shades drawn on sunny days when I'm manic or the sunshine can just add fuel to the fire. I listen to calming music and when I'm feeling particularly revved up, I focus on deep breathing exercises. This is all in addition to adjusting any medication that may be helpful at the time, but it sounds like that's not an option for you at the moment with your job situation. Also be sure to avoid caffeine, drugs, and alcohol as these will only make mania and cycling worse in some people.

A good website to check out for all things bipolar is . All sorts of info there.
  3. Throwmeawayout

Throwmeawayout Active Member

I know I need to work harder on the caffeine and alcohol. I hope to use those only in extreme moderation, but sometimes my walls break down and I consume food/drink/alcohol at an uncontrolled rate.

I thank you for your reply. Truly, it was like reading the thoughts of a kindred spirit. Normally, my mental discipline can get me through these times. Every 3-5 years, I have a really tough year with a period of rapid cycling. It has been a real challenge to try to keep that under control.

Right now, I'm wanting to make sure that a changing mental state won't affect my chances of an improving employment situation. For the first time in my life, I'm truly open to professional help. Being employed again should help me obtain that, and I feel that I could benefit greatly from an objective perspective.

Until such time as I can obtain help from a therapist/counselor, I will try to exercise self-control. I hope to avoid excessive alcohol and caffeine use. I also hope to maintain a productive sleep schedule. Equally important is the idea of channeling the excess energy into productive tasks. I have been using, and will continue to use music, meditation, lucid dreaming, and exercise to attempt to control the shifting tides of my mood.

Again, thank you for your reply.
  4. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're on the right track there. Also check out the bipolar forums at (under the Community tab). The website also has lots of good info on just about everything psych.

Good luck with the new job. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.