Help with self harm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Summer/Autumn, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer/Autumn

Summer/Autumn Active Member

I've got a question about self harm.

I've been harming myself every day (by overdosing and cutting) for approximately the last 2 years. I've been seeing professionals about my depression and self harm for nearly 1 year and yet now one there has mentioned stopping it or reducing it. It's almost like they've forgotten about the self harm. The overdose I take is an xxxxx and I had been told that taking these pills for over 3 week running at maximum dosage levels would be dangerous. I take at least xxx everyday any still no one has said or done any much about it. I have had 1 blood test about it in the last year - but no one told me the results. The worst cuts I make are running up wards towards my elbow along the inside of my arms and they're not mentioned at at. So the question is Why is no one doing anything? I'm really do think that they've given up on me and that I'm not worth doing any thing about and to stop wasting there time. I'm such a useless, fat and ugly person that they believe that I would be better off achieving my goal and killing myself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

It seems that you should bring your concerns to the forefronth of the therapy and ask the provider how to work on SH and what to are the consumer and you have to make sure your concerns are addressed...J
  3. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I agree with Sadeyes. In my experience, any big problem they ignore. Just tell them that you want help with the self harm in particular. But they may think that by working on your depression that the self harm will stop too.
    They just need a kick up the butt to remind them is all.
    :hug: Hope you're okay.
  4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

It seems to me that many mental health professionals seem to think that self harm is something that we choose to do, and therefore if we wanted to stop doing it we would.

I think they just don't understand it, so I agree with the others that you need to raise your concerns and bring it to the forefront in your treatment. They're there to help you; make sure they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.