Help!

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by RainbowChaser, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

Okay, not sure if this is in the right place, but here goes...

I have to go out on Friday, with a bunch of people I barely know (it's a works do) and I am scared. I barely want to go. It's in the next town, so I have to do quite a bit of travelling too, which also scares me.

Has anyone got any advice about how to get through the night? I plan on leaving as early as I can without being rude, as I'm the only one travelling any serious distance that night, so I can get away with that much at least. I just need some ideas on how to get through the whole feeling unsafe thing (or at least someone who doesn't mind me phoning them from the toilets when I freak out too much, or knowing that at least one nice person will be in Leeds (UK) on Friday night :laugh: ).

Anyway, any help at all would be nice...

2. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I don't know if it works for you, but I always get through boring nights by having a few drinks to loosen up (NOT getting drunk or whatsoever, just a FEW drinks as the intention is to just loosen up) and also I tend to text with my mates from all over the world :smile:
    Also you could see if there's any people with the same interests as you and you can have a interesting talk about common hobbies etc.

My MSN is in my profile, if you want to talk, feel free to add me :smile:

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Smile and listen till you feel relaxed enough to contribute to the convo..peeps love people who are good listeners.

4. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

:yes: :grouphug: I agree with Terry, hun. :hug:

5. Deathly Strike

Deathly Strike Well-Known Member

Go and enjoy yourself, hun.

Get a few drinks down your neck and you'll soon feel confident enough to sit down and talk to people, or dance or whatever. Parties are a great way of making new friends and boosting confidence. Unfortunately, I don't practice what I preach - I'm too shy to go out and 'rave' like everyone else which explains the lack of friends, but nevermind. Just enjoy yourself.

:hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I find that by admitting my fears, and getting through them, the next events become 'easier'...use this as a test-run...no great expectations other than getting there and back...if you have a wonderful time, that would be the icing on the cake, but not the inital goal...making goals manageable seem to decrease the anticipation...remember there are many ppl here who will have you in their hearts...and plez let us know what happens...big hugs

7. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Hey hun, I know where you're coming from, I'm doing the same thing tonight. Eek. Well, I'm seeing a friend I haven't seen for absolutely ages and I never go out so tonight will be a challenge and I think unfortunately she is with a few other people I don't know. I'm scared too, tonight will be different for both of us but we can get through it! How? Good question. Heh.

Not everyone is full of life, ready to party, loud and brassy, not everyone can easily strike up conversation with people they don't know and a lot of people are shy when they meet new people. Seeing as you barely know these people I'm sure they will understand if you are quiet and shy around them. It's a new environment for you.

My advice is to just be yourself and smile. If you get on better with one co-worker maybe you can explain to them you're a little anxious about tonight, or you can stay with them and hopefully their presence will make you feel a bit more comfortable.

Good luck for this evening, I hope it goes well. :hug:

8. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

I had a great time! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.